pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

My eyelids have become red and very itchy. Cortizone cream

My eyelids have become red and very itchy. Cortizone cream seems to help, but I know it is really not to be used near the eyes. Is there any other OTC medication that would relieve eyelid itching/inflammation?

pippistrellodaqua :

I am happy to assist you tonight.

pippistrellodaqua :

Itch and the inflammation associated with it can safely and effectively be treated with an over the counter eye drop called Zaditor or Alaway. These drops should be used twice daily.

pippistrellodaqua :

These drops target the eye itself but often work well on the lids.

pippistrellodaqua :

In addition to the drops I suggest you perform what is called lid scrubs and warm compresses to target the lid specifically.

pippistrellodaqua :

To do this you can take a wash cloth and place it under very warm water.

pippistrellodaqua :

With your eyes closed you should rub gently at the base of the lashes with the wash cloth and apply the heat from the water. Repeat several times for up to 5 minutes. This should be done at least twice per day for the next several weeks.

pippistrellodaqua :

If you ever note pain or blurred vision you should be seen by your eye doctor, but this approach of Zaditor or Alaway with the lid scrubs and warm compresses is often effective enough.

pippistrellodaqua :

I will be available to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.