Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have lost vision in one eye when I turn the lights out for

I have lost vision in one eye when I turn the lights out for bed. When I turn the lights on, my vision is fine again. Once it was complete loss and another time only 1/2 of the eye. Any thoughts?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I need a few clarifications here- Do you have any history of myopia( short sightedness for which you were glasses or contacts) / glaucoma / hypertension / diabetes ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the vision in one eye is lost only in the dark but is fine in presence of light, then it is likely to be due to involvement of the periphery of the retina or due to reduced contrast sensitivity from early glaucoma or it could be due to early cortical cataract or due to vascular ischemia ( reduced blood flow to the eye).

Customer:

no none of the above, i have almost perfect vision, i do have a little trouble with my distance but very mild

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok.

Customer:

I do have many floaters in both eyes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since the vision is absolutely fine in presence of light, it indicates that the central retina is fine.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Floaters can be due to posterior vitreous detachment(PVD).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion.Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

More often than not, it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

Customer:

I have had them checked with my eye doctor and she says the retina is healthy and that they are more bothersome than anything.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes , floaters can be quite bothersome at times. Another possibility is that the loss of vision ( once full and once half) could be due to a floaters in the peripheral part of the visual field ( thus it becomes obvious only when the lights are off).

Customer:

Yes, that makes sense. Can that affect the whole vision ability from the eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, being a floater, it keeps coming in and out of the visual field. It does not cause any permanent visual defect.

Customer:

right, so I shouldn't be alarmed when this happens again as my vision is fine when the lights are on?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Nevertheless you can mention the above symptoms at your next visit to an ophthalmologist. You can request for visual fields, intraocular pressure record, contrast sensitivity and dilated eye exam of the retina. No it does not seem to be something of serious concern.

Customer:

OK, thank you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince