Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Me left eye ball is swollen on the outer corner. It was itchy

Me left eye ball is swollen on the outer corner. It was itchy earlier and I may have scratched it, but I've never experienced this type of swelling. When I push my botXXXXX XXXXXd against it, I can see the swollen part of the sclera move. There is the sensation of something in my eye, but no pain, or impairment in vision. Should I sleep it off, or is this cause for concern?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the swelling present on the eyelid or on the white part of the eyeball?

Customer:

the white part of the eyeball

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does it appears cystic and filled with fluid?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Full Size Image

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does it appear similar to this?

Customer:

no, it doesn't look like that, there isn't a visible cyst. the shape of the eye just looks like it is bulging in comparison to my right eye, and there is the sensation of something in my eye, but no pain.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since how many days have you noticed this swelling?

Customer:

it started about an hour ago

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. In that case it is likely to be due to conjunctival chemosis( accumalation of fluid beneath the conjunctiva due to rubbing of the eye).

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Unlike a conjunctival cyst it is more diffuse . It will regress naturally within a day or two. Since you do not have any other eye symptoms such as redness/apin or reduced vision, it is not something to worry about. Since you did have itching sensation it is likely that there is some kind of allergy which is causing the symptoms.

Customer:

the first one is the eye with the swelling in the bottom corner, the second is what my regular eye looks like

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes I did see the images

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It does look like chemosis.

Customer:

so aside form the redness, i can expect the symptoms to clear on their own?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would suggest you to start putting lubricating eye drops such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for about a week.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Along with that you can use anti-allergy eye drops such as Alaway or Zaditor eye drops, 1 drop twice a day for 2 weeks , in case you continue to have itching sensation.

Customer:

i don't normally have allergies, it was the lower eyelid that was itchy, and i think i may have scratched the sclera. I've just never experienced a sympXXXXX XXXXXke this so I was concerned it may have been serious.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No it does appear to have been anything serious. In case you have scratched the superficial layer resulting in chemosis, it will still heal within a few days. You can just put the lubricating eye drops for symptomatic relief.

Customer:

thank you so much

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince