Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Customer Question

I have constant inner ear pain. Finished a course of antibiotics and prednisine along with steroid shots.
My ear feels no different. Still in pain. Swallowing is painful. My one eye on same side tends to ache off and on what is my problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First of all, it sounds to me like you need an MRI of your head and neck. In addition, you need a complete workup by an ENT surgeon.

Dr. Rick :

It is hard to pin down exactly what can be causing your symptoms based on the information provided in your post but from the various structures involved -- ear, throat/swallowing and orbital/eye pain it may be a viral infection, extensive sinus disease, mass effect etc.

A complete workup is indicated, especially since a course of antibiotics and steroid therapy did not help.

Dr. Rick :

If you have already seen a local ENT doctor, had a good workup, and are still having problems then you may want to consult with a group of Super SubSpecialists at a University Teaching hospital.

Dr. Rick :

At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.