Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Vision in right eye, then pain in lower skull, whole head

I had a sudden problem with vision in my right eye which looked like the upper part of my vision was cloudy gray and the rest of the vision in that eye was splotchy, like splatters of purple paint. I felt light headed at the time and almost like I was going to black out. That lasted 5 minutes or so, then it went away and immediately had a pain in the back right side of my upper neck/lower skull. The pain then started to go to both sides and ended up with my whole head aching. This happened almost 3 weeks ago and the headaches are still there. I feel like I'm in a fog on and off and my vision is not as clear as it used to be (slightly fuzzy). I went to an urgent care doctor and to a hospital ER. The ER did a CT scan and blood tests, all of which came up clean. They both think it is an occular migraine. They subcribed Sumatriptan Succinat 25mg every 2 hours. That didn't phase it. Finally, the ER doc sent me home with Butalbit/Acetam/Caf tab (Fioricet). The pain is still there and I'm getting real tired of it.

I can't seem to get the password XXXXX work correctly and it won't email a new one to me.  My email address is [email protected].  Thanks.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The eye part only lasted 5 minutes. The headache, however, has lasted over 3 weeks. The pain starts in the back lower part of my skull and travels over the top of my head. Nothing I've taken has helped, including the Sumatriptan Succinat 25mg every 2 hours, Butalbit/Acetam/Caf tab (Fioricet), Ibuprofen 600mg tabs, or Dexamethansone 4mg tabs. Itsn't it a bit unusual for a migraine to last over 3 weeks straight with no relief?

As a person who not only treats migraines but has been personally dealing with them for over 30 years, from what you have posted, I can tell you with a high degree of confidence that what you are suffering from is migraines.

While I agree that it is unusual for a migraine to last 3 weeks it is not un-heard does happen.

If you are not being treated by a neurologist who specializes in headaches, you should do so.

I once had a migraine last for 11 day so I know what you are going through...although as a guy I probably didn't handle it as well as you are. You know what wimps men are when we are in pain ;-)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)