pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

I have now been increased to a prescription of 15 diopters

I have now been increased to a prescription of 15 diopters of prism (each eye), base out. What type of frames are best suited for this amount of prism, and is it possible for me to still be "stylish"? Also, my lashes are very long and even with curling them, they still smash up against the lens. When fitting me for the new pair of frames I obviously will be ordering and since the staff was of no help, how do I help myself in this manner? Looking like a geek is more than OK with me, as it fits me however, I am still a vibrant woman...Any suggestions?

Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 2 years ago.

pippistrellodaqua :

As an optometrist who works often with prism in glasses, I am happy to assist you today with your question.

pippistrellodaqua :

15 prism diopters is a fair amount of prism, but is still something that could be very stylish if done properly.

pippistrellodaqua :

I would stay away from rimless or semi-rimless frames.

pippistrellodaqua :

Plastic frames would probably be your best bet.

pippistrellodaqua :

Welcome to the chat.

pippistrellodaqua :

"Lash Crash" is a common problem with high amounts of prism. There is little that can be done about it. If we move the glasses away from the lashes then they will likely sit at the wrong position and actually induce other problems.

pippistrellodaqua :

Though it is obnoxious, lashes bumping into the lenses can usually be handled (that is most patients usually get used to it.)

pippistrellodaqua :

What is the reason for which you are being fit with prism? Is it an eye turn or convergence insufficiency?

pippistrellodaqua :

Do you have additional questions?

Customer:

My face is also I think, a thinner heart shape, almost oblong.....As per the type of frame best suited for my face and lenses? How do I keep my lashes from smashing up against the lenses like a circular brush on the windshield at a car wash? I did use a smidgen of waterproof mascara today because of the higher wax content....curling the lashes X 3 did not help.

pippistrellodaqua :

Oblong shaped faces often do well with smaller rectangular frames. For the prism cosmesis, the smaller the better.

pippistrellodaqua :

Sometimes we can tilt the frame somewhat out of the way of the lashes. This is called panto tilt and the optician adjusting the final pair of glasses should be able to tilt the frame. It is important not to tilt it too much, however, as it may induce prismatic problems.

Customer:

I have a convergence insufficiency, among other things. I had a failed left rectus muscle surgery a couple of years ago. I am 54. Also, was exposed to many chemicals while in service. This is when my vision started to go...I also have a bi-lateral bulge in the occipital lobe of my brain, I found ou recently. Non-cancerous, thankfully.

pippistrellodaqua :

I suspected it may be in part due to convergence insufficiency (CI.) CI can effectively be treated with vision therapy exercises and can, in some cases, reduce the amount of prism needed in spectacles.

Customer:

Unfortunately, my eyesight has dwindled drastically in the past few years. Could chemical exposure (mercury, thallium, organochlorines, lead, etc.) be a cause of this? I always had good vision before exposure. Just a curiosity.

pippistrellodaqua :

It certainly can. There are several toxic conditions of the eye. I am not aware of these compounds having any effect on the muscles of the eye that would lead to the need for prism though.

pippistrellodaqua :

Do you have additional concerns?

I will be available to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.

Customer:

What toxic conditions of the eye could these compounds cause? The new RX I have is just "a look to see where we are going" before the last half of the exam and my "real glass RX" is prescribed. I am desperstely trying to keep my driver's license at this point.

pippistrellodaqua :

Toxic retinitis of the back part of the eye and a neurological condition called and toxic optic neuropathy are two conditions that could be caused.

pippistrellodaqua :

These are more serious problems that can lead to concerns in the back of the eye. A dilated fundus examination would be required to detect these problems.

Customer:

My dilation is next week, as well as whatever else we have to do. I will digest these things and also consider having the frame tilted when the final glasses are ready to be made.

Thank you.

pippistrellodaqua :

You're very welcome. Please don't hesitate to contact me again if you have further questions or concerns. A positive rating is much appreciated. Best of wishes to you.

Customer:

Thanks. Appreciate your help.

pippistrellodaqua :

I believe there is a button that says exit chat and rate the answer. I will stay on for a bit to make sure you have found it. Thanks again.

pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience: Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK