pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK

Ive lived in california my whole life then in 2007 moved to

Customer Question

I've lived in california my whole life then in 2007 moved to colorado then came back to cali a year later and started having issues with my left eye getting really itchy and i couldn't help but rub. At first I thought maybe I had grown a new allergy to cats, but i had had cats my whole life. I'd wake up some mornings with swollen eyelids and i started to get a greenish yellow puss. it comes and goes but my left eye definately has something wrong, i would look at my inner upper eyelid and its not smooth and i think this may irritate my eye especially while i'm sleeping because i sleep on my side with my eye on my pillow. I dont have insurance so i never saw a doctor about it. This morning I woke up and my eye felt really itchy and I was rubbing it then suddenly I could tell my eye was feeling swollen but this time it was my eyeball not my eyelids! The whole lower p[art of my eye is swollen and it looks like i got punched in the eye almost, no redness just swollen and I'm scared I may have damaged my eye from too much rubbing though I'm sure there is something else wrong since I have been having these issues lately. Is It a really serious matter where I need to go to a clinic? Or an eye doctor, not sure how that works without insurance. I took some ibprofin and have ice on my eye hoping the swelling will go down. My vision is the same, just a swollen lower eyeball
Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 1 year ago.

pippistrellodaqua :

I am happy to assist you today.

pippistrellodaqua :

The itch you describe absolutely sounds like an allergic response.

pippistrellodaqua :

While it is nearly impossible to identify the source of the itch, allergies of the eye are treated the same way.

pippistrellodaqua :

There are some over-the-counter treatments for allergies of the eye.

pippistrellodaqua :

Here is an article that explains the problem in greater detail.

pippistrellodaqua :

http://voices.yahoo.com/managing-itchy-eyes-eye-allergies-11496326.html?cat=5

pippistrellodaqua :

I suggest starting with an over-the-counter medication called Zaditor or Alaway. These drops can be used twice a day and I suggest putting them in both eyes, even though the left eye is the one causing problems.

pippistrellodaqua :

The appearance of your inner lid sounds like a sign called papillae. These papillae or bumps of the lid are also caused by allergies.

pippistrellodaqua :

Some allergic responses of the eye do require more aggressive treatment. If you don't notice an improvement with the eye drops it would be advisable to seek additional treatment.

pippistrellodaqua :

Many doctors will be able to see you without insurance. Some optometrists (even Walmart or Target doctors) have a special rate for self-paying red eye examinations that may be as little as $40. It may be worth it to be seen, but again, if you would like to try treating it on your own, I suggest the over-the-counter drops.

pippistrellodaqua :

I will stay on for a while to make sure all of your questions are answered fully.

pippistrellodaqua :

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Do you have any additional questions or concerns? A positive rating is very appreciated. Thank you for allowing me to help you.
I see that you gave a negative rating. Do you have additional questions or concerns I may be able to address to make your experience more positive?