Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

sometimes my eyes dont focus and I cant read the newspaper

sometimes my eyes don't focus and I can't read the newspaper if bright light shines in my eyes I then can see the print on the same newspaper

I have had two dizzy and spaced out feelings and I must now confess I am a little worried about this

I am 50 years old and wear vary focals

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes i am

Customer:

hello

Doctor DanB : Yes, I'm here.
Doctor DanB : So can you clarify? You have a hard time reading when bright lights get in your eyes?
Customer:

no my eyes don't focus on newspaper print and it helps when i look at a bright light sometimes my eyes don't focus and I can't read the newspaper if bright light shines in my eyes I then can see the print on the same newspaper I have had two dizzy and spaced out feelings and I must now confess I am a little worried about this I am 50 years old and wear vary focals

Customer:

any ideas would be most welcome

Doctor DanB : So then you have a hard time seeing smaller print unless you have bright light?
Customer:

yes if i try to read say a newspaper I find that the words are blurred if I then look into bright light for a second or two and then look at the paper the print is in focus

It is as if the light helps to correct the lens in my eye

Doctor DanB : I see. When was the
Doctor DanB : Last time you saw an eye doctor for a complete exam?
Customer:

so to give an example in daylight I can't see the date on my watch, I look to the sun (less than a second or two) then back to my watch I can see the date very clearly

Customer:

a little while ago but he only looked at my eyes

Doctor DanB : In the microscope?
Customer:

no just a chat and with an small torch like device

Customer:

I live in the UK

Doctor DanB : I see. I suspect that you may have cataracts. Cataracts cut down on the amount of light that reaches the retina and therefore people with cataracts need that extra light to illuminate what they're looking at.
Doctor DanB : Does that male sense?
Doctor DanB : Make sense?
Customer:

oh I see would an ophthalmologist be able to see this

maybe could be as a layman could well be seems strange that one minute my eye can not see look to a strong light then back to the paper and then read

Customer:

although the doc (GP) is working on the diabetes theory the eye doc did not see any thing strange

Customer:

am I in the correct age group

Doctor DanB : Yes, an ophthalmologist would definitely be able to detect this. It's the small things the require more light to see. While it may be helpful to know if you have diabetes, I don't think diabetes would be the cause of these symptoms. And yes, you are old enough to have a cataract.
Customer:

ok I will go back to my doc soon with the info two final questions for you if not cataract could it be a more serious condition?

Is a cataract curable?

Doctor DanB : Yes, cataracts can be removed with surgery and this cured (but not cured in any other way). If its not the cataract, then it may be a tear film abnormality.
Customer:

thank you for your time and expert opinion it has been most helpful

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback; any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer:

well I was so worried and as a layman always can fear the worst some thing wrong with my brain

Customer:

or optical nerve

Doctor DanB : I certainly understand those fears, but from everything you've told me, I have no reason to suspect a brain or optic nerve problem. So try not to worry too much. The ophthalmologist visit will be helpful.
Customer:

thank you Doc Dan