Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Im 47 years old, had lasik surgery for severe myopia about

I'm 47 years old, had lasik surgery for severe myopia about 8 years ago and "eye muscle" surgery when I was 2 years old. I'm experiencing severe "tired" eyes. One crossing when the other is dominant, no double vision, but i either see with one eye or the other. I think I have had this problem so long, I have adjusted and can't physically see "double". I tried vision therapy years ago and practiced religiously to no avail. Is there any thing possible to help me?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB : Unfortunately "vision therapy" is usually only applicable to one very specific type of strabismus (eye misalignment) and therefore is usually just frustrating for most people. Therefore...
Customer:

Would eye surgery for allignment help me?

Doctor DanB : I think in your situation, you will find that you may be in need of another eye muscle, or strabismus surgery. Based on your description of the frequency and severity of your symptoms, I think that you are ultimately going to do the best by realigning the muscles with surgery.
Customer:

Is that possible? considering all the other surgery for allignment i have already had?

Doctor DanB : Oh,yes, it's quite possible. Many people end up having multiple eye muscle surgeries over a lifetime, so I think it's likely quite possible in your case.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?     
Customer:

at what risk and pain factor?

Customer:

i am allergic to opiates.

Doctor DanB : Risk is minimal; most people do very well with these surgeries--they are usually very minimally uncomfortable
Doctor DanB : Postoperatively and almost never require more than some eye ointment and over the counter analgesics for pain after the surgery.
Customer:

I have heard it is very painful

Doctor DanB : If you have heard that then you have spoken to one outlier among hundreds if not thousands; while it can be somewhat uncomfortable and annoying for a few days of the post-operative course, it is very rarely downright painful.
Customer:

ok thank you

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck to you. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback; any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry!