Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello: I was hit by a cyclist on Sunday July 8. My left

I was hit by a cyclist on Sunday July 8. My left eye was severly bruised! All black and blue. It is taking a long time to heal and I am getting very paranoid, thinking that my slightly puffiness and bruising will not go away.

Is this going to permanent? Will it ever go away? Am I scarred for life? This has not affected my vision at all. What should I be doing or using in the meantime.

Pleas advice. Thanks so much!

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have a subconjunctival hemorrhage. Let me go over your questions one at at time as there are a lot of them :)

Dr. Rick :

1. No. It will not be permanent.

Dr. Rick :

2. Yes. It will go away.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

3. No, you are not physically scarred for life.

Dr. Rick :

4. No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Dr. Rick :

Whew! My fingers are tired from all that typing ;) That was a lot of answers.....

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Dr. Rick:

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I am sooo relieved with your response. Mind you the bruising is not red and it is more like a dark grey'sh brown colour. It has been over two months now.. How long???

Over two months is pretty might, however, just have had a fairly extensive bleed under the tissues.

I do, however, think at this point it would be reasonable to have your doctor have another look at the area and see what she thinks.