Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

While reading I can see my eyeball moving across the line Im

While reading I can see my eyeball moving across the line I'm reading-it goes back and forth as I read. I'm also experiencing flashes of a dark horizontal line on the left side of the same eye (left eye) like an old fashioned camera shutter. I was examined yesterday which included a cat-scan and a regular x-ray but the eye doctor could only guess, thinking maybe one problem, the flashes, was an unusual kind of floater. He had no clue why I'm having the prolem while reading. Can you help with this problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Were you examined by an ophthalmologist or an optometrist?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I look forward to your response.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not received a response to my question-still waiting.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I did not reeceive an answer. I was asked what kind of eye Dr I visited and responded stating an opthamologist and have not heard anything since then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was seen by an opthamologist

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
This is taking much longer than anticipated.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for that information.

Sorry for the delay.....I had to go on a "date" with my Wife. We don't often get to enjoy dinner and movie together :-)

I do not understand what you mean by "While reading I can see my eyeball moving across the line I'm reading-it goes back and forth as I read"

Could you please explain this a bit more? Have you tried to close one eye at a time?

Does it make it so you can not read?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can see the outline of what I think is my iris. It does not make it difficult to read but it is very annoying. It only happens while reading. As I read across the page the outline or circle moves as well back and forth. Closing my other eye does not change anything.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
When you notice this outline is it when you are reading with both eyes open?

If you close one eye at a time, what happens to this outline?

Is the outline always present when you read or does it come and go, change with blinking etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it occurs while reading with both eyes open. It's still there with one eye closed. It's always present and does not come and go but it's only there while reading, looking down , not looking straight ahead.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
You are correct. This is a very interesting issue....

I do not think that this is due to any type of floater since it is in both eyes. I believe that the problem is going to be in a very small section of your visual cortex or the part of the brain that coordinates the information from the central part of your retina,called the macula.

This lesion may be too small to show up on cat scan and may require special MRI imaging. Also, I would suggest a complete eye examination by an ophthalmologist that would include amsler grid testing of each eye, visual field testing of each eye and, possibly, fluorescein angiography.

If all the above do not show any problems then specialized retinal testing with focal ERG may be helpful. Usually these types of tests are only available in a University setting.

The downside to all of this is that, if a lesion is found, there is not a very often anything that can be done to fix it.

Does this make sense to you?

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.
Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response; however, maybe I did not the problem explain well enough. I thought I mentioned early on that the problem is only in my left eye. From your response this may make a difference in your determination. Does it?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, I did not notice that part of your post.

Yes. If it goes away when you close on eye (it is only in your left eye) that makes me think that the problem is intrinsic to your eyeball or, possibly, your optic nerve or optic radiations.

A amsler grid test, visual field exam, fluorescien angiogram and/or focal ERG may all be helpful tests....depending, of course, on physical findings.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ann,

I was just thinking about you and wondering if you have had any further testing done or if your vision has improved on its own.