pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

Dr. I had successful cataract surgery four years ago and have

Dr. I had successful cataract surgery four years ago and have 20-20 vision. I had an eye exam recently and was told there were very early signs of macular degeneration in one eye. Is this a death sentence for blindness? I was told to take eye health supplements with lutein , antioxidants, and other vitamins and minerals. Is there anything else I should be doing at this early stage. I am 73,male. Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 2 years ago.

pippistrellodaqua :

I am happy to help you today.

pippistrellodaqua :

This is a discussion I often have with my patients.

pippistrellodaqua :

There are two forms of macular degeneration. The "dry" form is likely what you have because you said that very early signs were detected. The "wet" form is often more severe and involves bleeding in the back of the eye.

pippistrellodaqua :

Though there is no treatment for the reversal of dry macular degeneration, there is significant support for the use of eye vitamins you had mentioned.

pippistrellodaqua :

These vitamins include Vitamins A, C, and E, zinc, copper, and newer versions include these antioxidants such as lutein and zeaxanthin.

pippistrellodaqua :

The idea behind the vitamins is to delay the conversion of dry macular degeneration to wet macular degeneration.

pippistrellodaqua :

We often say that if genetics have programmed your eye to convert to the wet form there is nothing we can do to stop it, but that these eye vitamins can delay that conversion and postpone it for several to many years.

pippistrellodaqua :

I also tell my patient that if I had a crystal ball and could tell the future I would be a rich man and certainly wouldn't need to examine eye balls anymore. Obviously, there is no way to predict what will happen in any individual case, but the detection of early macular degeneration by no means equates to a guarantee of permanent blindness.

pippistrellodaqua :

In fact, the early detection of macular degeneration is actually a good thing. Though we never want macular degeneration, we ALWAYS want to detect it early and from what you have reported, that appears to be the case with you.

pippistrellodaqua :

In most cases of macular degeneration, we will likely detect some vision loss over the years and decades, but complete blindness is no the norm, especially with early detection.

pippistrellodaqua :

The most important thing you can do is to take the AREDS vitamins as prescribed by your doctor. If you smoke now is the time to stop. Try to eat a well balanced diet including green leafy vegetables and fish. And, most importantly, maintain and keep your regularly scheduled eye examinations.

pippistrellodaqua :

The name of the game is early detection and early intervention.

pippistrellodaqua :

Do you have any additional questions or concerns?

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.

pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience: Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.