pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

My 13yr old son has a stye on the bottom of his eye lid near

Customer Question

My 13yr old son has a stye on the bottom of his eye lid near his nose, he has had it for about 6 days, it hasn't drained and there is pain, he has put a warm towel on it for the past 3 days. The stye hasn't seem to change, any advice on what I should do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 4 years ago.

pippistrellodaqua :

I am happy to assist you today.

pippistrellodaqua :

Internal hordeoulum (sty) is a common eyelid problem.

pippistrellodaqua :

A sty usually resolves on its own, but can turn into a chronic problem called a chalazion. If warm compresses aren't doing the trick you could try to gently massage the area of the sty.

pippistrellodaqua :

Welcome to the chat.

pippistrellodaqua :

The chronic chalazion develops when the built up material in the sty hardens. This will leave a permanent hard nodule which would have to be cut to remove.

pippistrellodaqua :

We want to avoid this chalazion problem.

pippistrellodaqua :

If warm compresses and the massage still doesn't take care of it after a day or two I would suggest being seen by an optometrist or ophthalmologist.

JACUSTOMER-p2wq4c33- :

how long does a stye usually last

pippistrellodaqua :

(S)he will likely prescribe an oral antibiotic pill to help the infection.

pippistrellodaqua :

The sty should resolve in 7-10 days on its own or it would likely require a more aggressive treatment.

pippistrellodaqua :

Do you have any additional questions or concerns?

pippistrellodaqua :

I will stay on for a while to answer any follow-up questions you may have. Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.

JACUSTOMER-p2wq4c33- :

it started about 6 days ago and started to use warm towel on it about 3 days ago, it's not getting bigger but not smaller either,

pippistrellodaqua :

Usually I like to give it several days. It now being about a week and still no improvement, may be time to get it looked at. Again, the chronic form of a stye is much more difficult to manage and is best to avoid all together.

JACUSTOMER-p2wq4c33- :

k

pippistrellodaqua :

Please feel free to contact me again if there are additional concerns.

pippistrellodaqua :

A positive rating is much appreciated.

pippistrellodaqua :

I see a poor service rating. What more can I do to help with your question? I am committed to keeping my customers satisfied. I'd be more than happy to provide more detail if desired. Please reconsider the rating. Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.