pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

Hello, I was shaving the other day and when i washed the razor

Hello, I was shaving the other day and when i washed the razor off with about 130 Fahrenheit water and came back up to shave some hot water got in my eye. Question is does this burn thru the sclera or cornea if drops of hot water go in the eye. There is no pain or bluriness.

Thanks

Customer:

I am happy to assist you today.

Customer:

Hot water can do damage to the eye, usually in the cornea.

Customer:

The water cannot burn through the cornea or sclera, but it can cause what is called superficial punctate keratitis (SPK)

Customer:

Welcome to the chat.

Customer:

It can also induce inflammation of the eye.

Customer:

As long as there is no blur or pain most folks will

have no problems.

JACUSTOMER-34p75lib- :

What does superficial punctate keratitis mean?

Customer:

A bit of redness can be noted and usually clears up in a few hours. Sometimes the SPK will cause discomfort to the eye. SPK from hot water will clear on its own, but artificial tears such as Systane or Blink can help. These can be obtained over-the-counter.

Customer:

SPK is essentially a small amount of repairable damage to the cornea. It can be associated with discomfort and is very common.

Customer:

Again, it usually clears on its own, but if present, will clear up faster with some artificial tears which should be used 4 times daily.

JACUSTOMER-34p75lib- :

Thanks It sounds like hot water is minor to the eye from what i am getting from you

Customer:

Yes, it is of minor concern. Again, unless there is pain, discomfort, or blurry vision it is usually of no big concern.

I will stay on for a while to answer any follow-up questions you may have. Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.

JACUSTOMER-34p75lib- :

Thanks you have answered all my concerns. I appreciate your help!

Customer:

You're sure welcome. Please don't hesitate to contact me again should the need arise.

Customer:

A positive rating is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,
Thank you again for allowing me to help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Do you think it is necessary to see a eye doctor in my case?

Not unless there is pain or blurred vision. Whenever in doubt it is a good idea to see your doctor. I've caused similar SPK on my own eye by rubbing my eyes after eating jalapeno peppers. It shouldn't be much of a concern.