Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i had a scratched cornea and now due to meds my eye is still

i had a scratched cornea and now due to meds my eye is still not healed....i used a
new med the doc subscribed and my eye is now painfull and feels like it did 3 weeks ago
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How did your cornea get scratched?

Dr. Rick :

Do you know the name of the medicine you used?

Customer:

i don't know how it got scratched....till the dr tested it with the yellow dye..

neomycin was the last and 2 xs started with an O by

Customer:

the neomycin dried my out because at nite it gets stuck together and runs

Dr. Rick :

ok

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are now suffering from what is called recurrent corneal erosion syndrome.

Customer:

what does that mean? should I stop all meds....

Dr. Rick :

Recurrent corneal erosion is a condition where, usually after some type of trauma, the epithelial layer of the cornea ("skin") no longer attaches to the underlying tissue (bowman's layer) and keeps coming loose. Think it as a piece of Velcro, with the epithelium and bowman's layer as the two strips. In recurrent corneal erosion syndrome the little "hooks" in the Velcro are broken. RCES can also be seen as a secondary result of another disorder, such as map dot fingerprint disease.

Dr. Rick :

Drops and ointment are the first line of treatment. The next step is the use of a bandage contact lens at night along with the natural tears. This helps to prevent the epithelium from sticking to the inside of the eyelid, although just taking out the contact can cause an erosion. The next step in treatment is anterior stromal puncture. This is where the ophthalmologist uses a bent 25 gage needle and makes little punctures in the cornea. This is thought to help by allowing the hemidesmosomes (Velcro hooks) to attach better. I would not recommend this if the erosion is in the center of the visual axis as it can leave a small scar.

The next step in treatment is phototherapeutic keratectomy with a laser (PTK). This is the same laser used in Lasik, but used in a different way. In PTK the epithelium is removed from the cornea and the laser is used to remove part of the cells in the corneal stroma. It is thought to work by stimulating the natural regrowth of cells such that these new cells can better attach to the epithelium and prevent RCES.

Dr. Rick :

You should use ointment every night before you go to bed. You probably don't need the antibiotic ointment (neomycin). I suggest you use a lubricating over the counter ointment such as refresh PM or lacrilube (there are many brand names available).

Dr. Rick :

The ointment will keep the loose skin on your eyeball from sticking to your eyelid and coming off when you open your eye.

Even if you feel back to normal I'd suggest doing this every single night for at least 4 months.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

can I print this,,,,yes it makes sense...but can and will it heal itself your wonderful

God Bless

Dr. Rick :

Yes. you should be able to print the page or just copy/paste it into a wordprocessor and then print.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It can and it will heal itself with time. :-)

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.