Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My friends told me that when I shoot the ball in Water Polo

My friends told me that when I shoot the ball in Water Polo I go cross eyed. Also when I do butterfly.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Do you see double when this happens? Did you ever have a problem with an eye turning in as a child?

i don't if i see double and i don't think I ever had a problem with an eye turning in as a child

i don't know if i see double

They say I do when I shoot the water polo ball and when i swim butterfly

Doctor DanB : Do you have trouble seeing during those times?

sometimes i go blurry

but i'm not really sure

Also in middle school kids told me I went cross eyed sometimes.

Doctor DanB : If you're not having vision difficulties during these times, then I wouldn't necessarily worry about it. Though, if you do want to find out whether it is affecting your vision, I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist. Does that make sense?

yes but would there be any reason why my eyes cross.

Is that normal?

Doctor DanB : It's possible that your are having episodes of misalignment of the eyes. Some people have an innate tendency for the eyes to become misaligned intermittently and not stay straight all the time. This is most often seen when a person is inattentive, such as when they are staring, very sick, very tired, or, when they are adults, if they become drunk. But for people with that tendency it can be seen when they are concentrating as well.
Doctor DanB : While its not completely normal, it's very common and it sounds like you've had this for a while.

I have been going through a major depression for almost my whole life because of physical, mental, and emotional abuse. Would that have something to do with it?

Doctor DanB : It certainly plays a role, but many people have this without those significant other issues.

can i cure this misalignment.

Doctor DanB : Surgery can fix the misalignment or glasses with prism in them can help keep the eyes straight.

what type of surgery

Doctor DanB : Taking the muscles off the surface of the eye, moving then and sewing them back on in a different place to re-align the eyes.

what is the surgery called?

what is this condition called?

Doctor DanB : Strabismus surgery

so i have strabismus

Doctor DanB : Yes, it sounds like it.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Isn't strabismus when the eyes are crossed permanently

Doctor DanB : No, they don't have to be permanently crossed. In fact they usually are not permanently crossed.

Will the surgery cure it permanently?

Doctor DanB : It is variable. For some it does, for others it requires multiple surgeries.

do u suggest me to get the surgery?

Doctor DanB : I would suggest, at least, the evaluation by the ophthalmologist. You would need to have that to get the most accurate recommendation. Unfortunately, I can't examine you though. :)

What kind of examination are they going to give me?

Doctor DanB : They will examine how your eyes move together and independently, as well as determine your refractive error and do a thorough dilated eye examination.

Sometimes my vision does get blurry out of nowhere.

Doctor DanB : There can be many causes for that, but that can also be sorted out by the ophthalmologist

Okay I see.

Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?

No I don't. Thank you very much.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback; any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry!