Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I wear soft contacts. I left them in overnight 2 nights ago

I wear soft contacts. I left them in overnight 2 nights ago and now my one eye feels like there is something in it and it's red and hurts. I woke up the night I had the contacts in rubbing at my eyes. It also feels like I just had it dilated. What should I do??

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that you might have a corneal ulcer. This is commonly happens when you sleep in your contact lenses and then have a red, painful eye.

Customer:

How do I know and what is treatment??

Dr. Rick :

This is really something that needs to be evaluated and possibly treated before the morning......does your eye doctor have someone oncall for her practice.

Customer:

I have used eye drops from Whole Foods and Soothe too.

Dr. Rick :

The only way to know is to have a slit lamp exam by an eye doctor. Treatment consists of prescription drops.

Customer:

No, I will have to wait till tomorrow to call them.

Dr. Rick :

Ya....those drops just won't do it.

Dr. Rick :

How long has your eye been hurting and red?

Customer:

Well, I will call tomorrow as I work 1/2 day and will have to do it after that. Can this affect my vision? I have my old glasses on. It has been red and hurting since yesterday afternoon.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. This can affect your vision. I've even had a patient a few years ago who had to have her eyeball removed due to a serious corneal ulcer.

From what you have said I do not believe you are infected with the same, nasty, bacteria she had, but -- when it comes to eye infections -- the sooner treatment is started, the better things turn out in the end.

Customer:

I do understand that and already have a scheduled appointment for next week but will call tomorrow and hopefully get in then. Thank you as I agree with you about the NOT having an infection as all was fine till I wore my contacts to bed and rubbed my eyes.

Dr. Rick :

My advice is to go to the ER is there is no other option to obtain care tonight. You might say "but this has been already going on for a day...what's the rush?"

Well, maybe there is no rush, but as I've said, in the course of over two decades of working as an eye surgeon, I've seen enough disasters to be afraid of waiting....

Customer:

Well, I DO have to wait. Probably not what a doctor wants to hear but I will wait till tomorrow.

Dr. Rick :

You probably scratched your eye when you rubbed it, which gave the bacteria a place to get started and now you have, most likely, a corneal ulcer.

Dr. Rick :

I fully understand :-)

Customer:

I will get off here now and thank you for your help.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I wish you the very best.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.