Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Yesterday when i woke up it felt like something was in my eye

Customer Question

Yesterday when i woke up it felt like something was in my eye watering and what not. I tried to ignore it thinking it would just come out... But today it almost hurts? Any ideas about what is going on?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Do you wear contact lenses? Have you been in any environment where you can envision possibly getting something in that eye?
JACUSTOMER-bj3441zp- :

I do wear contacts but i took that one out yesterday because of this issue. I work in a kitchen. But it didn't start bothering me till i woke up yesterday morning.

Doctor DanB : I suspect that you have scratched your cornea and therefore may have a corneal abrasion. Like a scratch or abrasion on your skin, it will heal quickly, usually, but until then it can be quite painful. In the meantime, I would recommend using artificial tears (without a redness reliever component in it) 4-5x/day, cool compresses liberally, and Tylenol or ibuprofen as needed. If your vision worsens, eye redness worsens, or you start having worse pain or light sensitivity, then this may be a sign of infection and you should see your eye doctor immediately. You should also stay out if your contacts until the eye looks and feels normal, and the vision returns to normal. Does that make sends?
JACUSTOMER-bj3441zp- :

It looks like a freckle with a red like coming off the top... It feels like an eyelash is in my eye.Do you think i should have it looked at?

Doctor DanB : I think if these conservative measures don't improve the symptoms within 48 hrs or if if gets worse on these measures then yes, I do.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?     
JACUSTOMER-bj3441zp- :

i guess not thank you for your help... I wonder tho if there is anything else i can do to resolve the issue i mean like getting it out

Doctor DanB : You can certainly try flushing with an eye wash some more, but I wouldn't advise trying anything more than maybe gently rolling a Qtip over it to see if it will come off.
JACUSTOMER-bj3441zp- :

ok thanks have a good rest of your day

Doctor DanB : You too. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback; any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry!