Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I began experiencing circular flashes of light in my right

I began experiencing circular flashes of light in my right eye last night, all in my peripheral vision. They have subsided, but because I previously suffered a retinal detachment in my left eye, I'm obviously concerned. There have been no increase in floaters, no curtain sensation, etc. in the right eye. I suspect PVD, but would like an opinion on what is going on. Also, I have been suffering a rather severe summer head cold -- could there be a tie between the two?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer: Yes
Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are absolutely justified in your concern.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you are not having any altered visual symptoms such as fogginess or blurring of vision in the right eye or a shower of floaters as are seen in an episode of RD, it looks more like PVD.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The other condition where you can get such flashes of light is ocular migraine.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Associated headache may or maynot be present.

Customer: No headache so far. Can fatigue or illness contribute to this sensation?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the flashes of light have disappeared and there is no associated floaters, it is likely to be due to migraine. Migraine can be aggravated by various factors such as certain food, sound, visual effects or even fatigue.

Customer: Interesting. I attended a concert on Friday night and a live sporting event last night, so definitely exposed to loud sounds. Sensation began after arriving home from sporting event. Combined with illness/fatigue could've triggered this.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

It could be a likely cause.

Customer: I have scheduled an appt. with my regular eye doctor for next week. In your opinion, any need for a more immediate exam?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess you can go ahead with the scheduled appointment. Since you have already experienced the acute symptoms in a RD, you are aware how these symptoms begin with a sudden bout of a shower of floaters with flashes of light associated with blurring of vision ( similar to a veil or curtain falling in the line of your vision).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since the present symptoms are not like those mentioned above, it makes sense to go ahead with the appointment next week ( does not appear to be an emergency).

Customer: Great. Thank you for the advice. This was so different than what I experienced with the last RD, I didn't think it was that. Just looking for a little peace of mind.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

I can understand.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do keep me posted after your scheduled appointment as I would be sincerely XXXXX XXXXX know if the eye exam turns out to be fine (there is no additional charges for the same).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Take care. Bye.

Customer: Will do. Thanks again.