pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

I have a cloud in right eye, started with a flash of light

Customer Question

I have a cloud in right eye, started with a flash of light than spots after that the cloud came. what could this be? thinks Joel
Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 4 years ago.

pippistrellodaqua :

I am happy to help you today.

pippistrellodaqua :

The flashes of light and floaters you mentioned are classical signs of a vitreous detachment. The vitreous is a jelly like substance that fills the majority of the eye. At some point in life it will detach from the retina as a normal process called a posterior vitreous detachment or PVD.

pippistrellodaqua :

A PVD is almost always accompanied by a new floater and flashes of light. The flashes arise when the vitreous tugs or pulls on the retina.

pippistrellodaqua :

A PVD, though it is a normal process, must be evaluated by an optometrist or ophthalmologist because when the vitreous pulls away from the retina sometimes it will pull retina with it.

pippistrellodaqua :

If retinal is broken in the PVD process it may cause a much more serious condition called retinal detachment.

pippistrellodaqua :

Retinal detachment needs to be treated quickly if it happens.

pippistrellodaqua :

Your eye doctor will perform some tests including a dilated fundus examination to determine if the retina is intact.

pippistrellodaqua :

Symptoms of a retinal detachment which you should watch for and seek help immediately if they arise include a sudden increase in floaters, missing chunks of your vision, a curtain-like effect being drawn over the vision, or any other loss of vision.

pippistrellodaqua :

I suggest you obtain an examination on Tuesday after the holiday if you do not notice any other problems. If any of the retinal detachment signs arise I suggest a trip to the ER.

pippistrellodaqua :

I will stay on for a few minutes to answer any other follow-up questions. Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Please note that the information here is given for informative purposes only and is not a replacement for an actual examination.
Do you have any additional concerns or questions? I am happy to assist you further. Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your questions have been fully addressed.