pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK

Hello My 76 year olf Mom just had cataract surgery four

Customer Question

Hello

My 76 year olf Mom just had cataract surgery four days ago.
The next day she was seeing fairly clearly and went to doc for a follow up visit.
Doc said everything looked good.
She is due back to see him again in a few days.
Unfortunaltely this morning when she woke up and the vision was extremely blurry, all day long.
Could this be just part of the healing process? I have researched this and have not come across anyone that saw clear the day after surgery and a few days later went blurry.
I do not want to panic her, as I know that a number of things could be happening to cause the sudden blurriness. I would just like a professinal opinion right now.
- Can this just be a normal healing process - clear and them exremely blurry?
- Is it ok to wait to see the doc about this in three days from now ?
- Is this an emergency right now?

Her other eye is partially blindded by a retinal occlusion for a few years, so the eye she had the cataract surgery on needs to heal correctly as it is her only sighted eye.
Hse is also onblood thinners.

Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 1 year ago.

Customer:

I am happy to assist you tonight.

Customer:

Cataract surgery, though it is minimally invasive, is still a surgery and complications can arise.

Customer:

As the eye heals there may be inflammation which can cause the vision to blur.

Customer:

I have seen patients who see much better on day one than the start of week two.

Customer:

The way cataract surgeries are managed, your doctor is obligated to see you as many times at no additional charge as needed during a period of 90 days post operative. Patient phone calls (even after hours or on holidays) are a part of life. I suggest if there is concern to contact the surgeon who will be able to tell you if it appears to be a serious problem or if (s)he feels it can wait the weekend.

Customer:

I will stay on for a few minutes to answer any other follow-up questions. Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Customer :

Thank you. what can be done if it is inflammation? She is currently on several types of eye drops.

Customer:

The eye drops given after the surgery are used to combat inflammation as well as potential infection. The dosage should not be altered.

Customer:

She should already be taking a steroid drop with a pink cap which is used primarily for inflammation. The gray cap NSAID drop will also help combat inflammatory problems.

Customer:

Do you have any follow-up

questions or concerns tonight?

Customer:

Please feel free to contact me again if there are other concerns or questions. Thank you for allowing me to assist you tonight. Please consider offering a positive rating

.

Customer :

pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience: Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
I was unable to view the last of your posts. Please don't hesitate to contact me again if there are further questions or concerns. Again, a positive rating is very appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Well, yestrday my Moms eye turned completely white.

Her cataract surgeon saw her at midnight and referred her immediatley to her retinal specialist , who saw her at 2 AM

he said she had a very bad infection, drained some of the pus out of her eye, and took a culture, also gave her a shot of antibiotics into her eye.

He said it is a very bad situation, that the prognosis is guarded, , that it could take months for the infection to heal and the damage the infection can/will cause could require a surgey , that my MAY restore some site.

Should she be in a hospital for this right now?? What could tjey do for her in a eye hospital setting? He is seeing her again

tomorrow AM- What is done all these upcomng months to monitor the infection if it is momirored in an outpatient setting? -

As a primary care optometrist I gave the advice that I always give in cases of cataract surgery complications, namely, a referral back to your surgeon. I am going to opt out of this question so that an ophthalmologist can better address it. I am glad that you sought care.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Pippistellodaqa has asked me to help you with this question as I am a retina surgeon. I agree with what he has told you so far.

You might have noticed that I replied to this issue when you posted it earlier, but let me repeat my response here for your information.

Dr. Rick : It sounds like your mother has endophthalmitis, a very rare but very severe complication that can happen after cataract surgery. As a retina specialist I treat a lot of these infections.

Dr. Rick : Cultures are always done so that if the immediate therapy is not working you will, hopefully, have an organism identified that can help you to modify the treatment. As you already know, treatment starts before the results of the cultures are known.

Dr. Rick : Actually her final sight outcome does NOT depend on when, or if, the retinal surgeon does any surgery (vitrectomy) but, rather, on what type of bacteria has invaded her eye, how much damage is done to her retina and other structures by the bug, inflammation, and swelling etc.

Dr. Rick : Sometimes patients like your mother are monitored in a hospital setting but, in the majority of cases, therapy consists of the intravitreal injections (inside the eyeball), subconjunctival injections (around the eyeball) and very frequent strong topical antibiotic drops. I would say that 98% of my cases of endophthalmitis are treated as outpatients

Dr. Rick : The retina specialist is going to watch your mother very closely to make sure that the infection is getting better every day, in some cases I check a patient twice a day....he will then see if she has any complication (high eye pressure, retinal detachment, cornea problems etc) and deal with them if they come up.

Dr. Rick : I wish I could tell you that everything is going to be OK but, unfortunately, this condition is about as serious as it gets in my field. All that can be done right now is for her to get the best care possible and hope for the best.

Dr. Rick : Now. You might want to ask: "What did the surgeon do wrong?" and the answer is: Nothing.

This is just one of the risks of having eye surgery and, rarely, it happens and there is no rhyme or reason why it happened to your mom.

Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick : Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.
Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.