pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

I have swelling under my left eye only, started about 6 weeks

I have swelling under my left eye only, started about 6 weeks ago,
Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 2 years ago.

pippistrellodaqua :

Is the swelling on the eye itself (white part of the eye) or on the eyelid?

pippistrellodaqua :

Swelling of the lid that lasts for several weeks is rather common and often can be relieved by performing lid scrubs and warm compresses. To do this you should take a washcloth and place it under hot water. With your eyes closed you can rub gently at the base of the lashes with the washcloth and apply the heat to the lids.

pippistrellodaqua :

You are already taking medications which would suggest inflammation on the lid. The Ibilex is an antibiotic that will penetrate the lid, Telfast is an antihistamine and the FML is a weak steroid drop. Often times with the addition of the warm compresses and lid scrubs one can obtain some relief.

pippistrellodaqua :

Your doctor can be more aggressive if needed, as well. I often use a steroid drop called Lotemax or one called Pred Forte which are much stronger.

pippistrellodaqua :

I see you have entered the chat. Welcome.

pippistrellodaqua :

I will stay on for a while to answer any follow-up questions, should they arise. Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Customer:

i can't see your answer

pippistrellodaqua :

I will re-post the answer in Q&A format. Please don't hesitate to contact me if other questions arise.

pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience: Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Here is a transcript of the answer.

pippistrellodaqua says:9:49 PM

9:50 PM

9:53 PM

9:53 PMJACUSTOMER-g9j3233a- has entered this chat!pippistrellodaqua says:9:53 PM

9:53 PM

9:55 PM

</pCustomersays:9:56 PM

i can't see your answer

pippistrellodaqua says:9:57 PM

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no swelling on the lid, the white part of the eye (left side) is swollen, the swelling is under eye look as if I have been punched but no darkness.

If there is pain or discomfort with this type of swelling it is something that should be evaluated by your eye doctor. Still, the anti-inflammatory medications are likely not strong enough.