Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My girlfriend woke up this morning with what looks like a scleral

My girlfriend woke up this morning with what looks like a scleral detachment of the lateral aspect of th left eye. or thelast week she had intermittent itching and redness of the conjunctiva that we thought was related to a new eye makeup she'd been using, and it looked like it got better aftershe stopped wearing it. Now the eye is red an painful, but tere is no bleeding nor visual impairment. We can't find an ophtalmologist because of the long weekend...
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Would it be possible for you to attach a picture of her eye?

Does she wear contact lenses? If so, did she sleep in them?

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I look forward to your response so that we can figure out what is going on with your girlfriends eye.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry...I'm back at my PC. My girlfriend does not wear contacts. She has not been using any kind of eyedrops recently either. She began having symptoms of a common cold three days ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am back at my PC...awaiting your response.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible for you to attach a picture of her eye? You can use the paper clip on your screen or this website:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Right now she's at a GP's office an she texted me a picture of her eye off of her cellphone but unfortunately you can't really see any detail on it. s best as I can tell the redness starts just at the lateral corner of the eye and carries into the sclera about 0.5 cm. She says it itches a lot and became painful maybe an hour ago. She thinks she may have rubbed her eye in her sleep.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
OK. Well, I'm not very good at heart attacks and GPs aren't very good at eyes :-)

Is the "detached" area like a balloon or cyst, or is it a blood red area, like a piece of raw meat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's exactly what I told her...but with the long weekend and all there wasn't a single ophtalmologist in their office today. At any rate, the detached area looks erythematous and inflamed but not cystic.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Well, it is hard to tell exactly what is going on without seeing a picture as it could be a couple of things from your description. Let me give you a couple of pictures and you see if you can tell me which one her eye most looks like:

It looks like I can't paste the pictures directly but I can send you to the webpage with the picture.

Here is the first one:

http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&hl=en&biw=946&bih=888&tbm=isch&tbnid=paApIodtXItWZM:&imgrefurl=http://www.haydenla sik.com/eye-conditions.html&imgurl=http://www.haydenlasik.com/uploads/images/subconjunctival_hemorrhage.jpg&w=624&h=240&ei=FTNCUPrxIciaqQGloICQAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=243&vpy=4&dur=1375&hovh=139&hovw=362&tx=174&ty=65&sig=113059810368919634903&page=1&tbnh=70&tbnw=181&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0,i:145

Here is the second one:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OC1FemDgWbA/S_cOmbQThGI/AAAAAAAAAg8/5uZO2Ipy_ZA/s1600/DSC01640.JPG

Here is the third one:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/sebin/x/s/episcleritis.jpg

Which one do you think looks the most like her eye?

Also, has the GP come up with any good ideas yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I texted her about 15 minutes and she was in the exam room at the GP's...no news yet. As far as the images you send me, I have to say that from her description it looks closer to the third picture (hopkinsmedicine.org) but she told me she could actualy see the sclera (she called it a "membrane") separated from the globe.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Well, from what you have said and how you have described her symptoms, it sounds like she is experiencing an episode of allergic conjunctivitis.

Cold compresses, over the counter antihistamines/allergy medicines (although since she is at the GP he should be able to give her an Rx for a better medicine :-) as well as an eye drop such as Zaditor or Alocril, both of which require an Rx.

She could also take 50mg of benadryl, although this could make her tired.

Whew! This is a lot harder to do using "chat" as my only diagnostic tool lol!

Does this make sense to you?

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.
Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

If you have a chance I'd love to hear what the GP had to say.....

I hope the two of you have a good weekend ;)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Makes perfect sense...I'd insisted that she see her ophtalmologist a week ago when the symptoms started but since she got better when she stopped using that eye makeup...well. I did'nt realize the sclera could become detached in allergic conjunctivitis. I will txt her so she can ask the GP about the drops you mentioned. As far as PO antihistaminics she has had side effects from Benadryl in the past, so that one's out, but maybe Zyrtec will work. Do you think she may need an antibiotic +/- steroid drop?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
No. I do not think that an antibiotic is indicated from what you have said....although GPs sure do like to give them out ;-)

Steroids work well in these conditions but carry a risk of fairly significant side effects. I liken using them in this case to dropping a 20 megaton nuclear bomb on a company of foot soldiers -- it gets rid of them but is a bit of overkill, if you know what I mean.

Does this make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Definitely makes sense. Thanks a lot for your help.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure.....

Don't forget to mash the excellent feedback button for me :-)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest