Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had strabismus surgery on both eyes 11 days ago. I caught

I had strabismus surgery on both eyes 11 days ago. I caught myself rubbing my eye in my sleep and now my eye is burning really bad and itching. Can I flush it out with water? What do I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer: Yes
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from burning sensation in that eye, is there any blurring of vision or redness or watering from that eye?

Customer: Still red. Not watering. Still swollen. Vision fine but hard to keep eye open because it burns.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is likely that the rubbing of the eye could have caused tiny abrasions on the cornea in that eye. The best way to treat is to patch the eye with a lubricant eye ointment such as Lacrilube eye ointment, overnight. The next morning onwards you can start putting preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for the next 1 week.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Continue with the post-operative medicines as suggested by the surgeon.

Customer: I do not have access to lubricant eye ointment right now. I do have the artificial tears though. Can I flush it out with water?
Customer: Can I use artificial tears at the Sametime as the antibiotic drops?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Instead of water it is better to put the lubricating eye drops you have, you can put one drop every hour till you sleep and next morning onwards you can out it 4 times a day. Yes you can use it with the antibiotic eye drops with a gap of 2 minutes between the drops.

Customer: I have gauze pads. Can I patch with that?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

You mean to say sterile gauze pads?

Customer: Yes
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes you can use a sterile gauze pad to patch the eye overnight.

Customer: Ok. So I will drop in artificial tears, patch overnight. Continue with artificial drops and my antibiotics (2 mins apart) in am correct?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are absolutely right.

Customer: Ok. Thanks for the help. If it does not feel better in the morning I will call my surgeon. Thanks.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince