Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

After cataract surgery my cornea is out of place and I have

Customer Question

After cataract surgery my cornea is out of place and I have foggy vision in my eye after 6 weeks. Please comment as I am worried and the surgeon says he doesn;t know what is wrong as everything seems okay  I also am very sensitive to light and my eye waters when driving in the sun and also just being outside in the sun even though I wear sun glasses.  Also my right eye vision is attected by this fogginess in my left eye.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Pearl.com

Yes it looks like the cause of your ocular symptoms such as fogginess, watering and light sensitivity are likely to be due to corneal involvement. Either there could be corneal edema or there could be raised intraocular pressure which in turn is causing corneal edema. One of the reasons why the steroid eye drops were stopped.To know the extent of corneal involvement I suggest that you consult a cornea specialist since your cataract surgeon has failed to detect or find a reason. Early corneal edema is treated with sodium chloride eye drops whereas persistent edema if due to raised IOP would need anti-glaucoma eye drops. Chronic corneal haziness ( beyond 6months to one year) are treated by keratoplasty surgery.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I find your help very good. I have been using glaucome drops since the surgery as I had very slight pressure - 7 I think he said. He expected that to go down completely after the surgery and there is no pressure in my eye at present with the drops.

You mention Early corneal odema. Please tell me the time it is still "early" and whether I would come under this catagory?

I read on the Internet of people having my symptoms whose surgeons have not been able to help them and this condition has become permanent. Please comment

I will find a cornea specialist if the surgeon still cannot help me and says to be "patient"

Thank you

Hello Margaret,

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

You are still within the post-op period of cataract surgery which is normal regarded as 6-8 weeks after surgery. A corneal edema during this period can be treated with eye drops such as sodium chloride 5% eye drops. Since your cataract surgery was 6weeks back, I would expect this edema to subside with eye drops and anti-glaucoma medicines( which you may have to continue for another 4 weeks). The advantage of consulting a cornea specialist is that he can let you know if the medical line of treatment would be sufficient. A few more tests on the cornea would help to know if the inner layer of the cornea called as endothelium is healthy enough to recover from the present edema. In case the endothelium is found to be unhealthy or decompensated then surgery becomes the only option.

Thank you and best wishes.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help. I have seen the specialisrt and he says the cornea has edema but it is getting better and moving back to its normal position. Also the eye is clearing of the fogginess. It seems the cortizone has been the reason the improvement has taken so long and since yesterday when a numbing drop was put in my eye it has watered continually so it really doesn't want any chemicals in it I feel. Have you any comments on this?

Hello Margaret,

It is nice to know that the cornea is clearing up now and the fogginess has reduced. Sometimes the superficial layer of the cornea gets eroded by various eye drops ( including the numbing eye drops) which can lead to watering/pain or light sensitivity. It is better to continue with the prescribed eye drops and in addition to it you can start putting lubricating eye drops such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day . This will help the corneal surface to heal and reduce the watering too.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you -I am happy with that. Goodbye

My best wishes are with you. Take care. Bye.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just letting you know. The numbing eye drop eroded the superficial layer of the cornea so I have refused to have any more and the eye is slowly healing. I expect it to be healed in due course,

Thank you for your help - it has been very much appreciated.

Hello Margaret,

You are right about anesthetic eye drops causing corneal erosions in some individuals. But it is fast healing and gets corrected in due course of time.

Thank you and regards

Dr.A.S.Desai