Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I can see something in my right eye, it looks like a black

I can see something in my right eye, it looks like a black thread. If I move my eye it moves, it doesn't stop me from seeing.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment ( PVD ).In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion.Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.

More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist.This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals.You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice.

PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. What you would need at this stage is a routine eye exam ( not an emergency) to look at the back of the eye. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done. It would be best to ignore the floaters after that. Some floaters tend to drift out of visual field too.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Alright. Since I did not get any reply I was wondering if you are still in the chat or not.

I am here I was reading your response. I am going for an eye exam on Monday, August 13th.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. During the eye exam, a dilated fundus examination will help to know the status of the back of the eye.