Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have poison on my eyelids. It itches as you well know. Can

I have poison on my eyelids. It itches as you well know. Can I suffer eye damage. What should I do to get this cleared up. I am applying "Ivarest" on the eye lid and that seems to stop the itching. Should I take some benadryl?

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. What poison do you have on your eyelids and how did it get there?

Customer: Poison ivy
Doctor DanB :

Yes, Benadryl can be helpful, but I would recommend using a better OTC antihistamine such as Zyrtec or Allegra or Claritin.

Doctor DanB :

I would also recommend getting some OTC 1% hydrocortisone ointment (not cream) and rubbing that on your eyelids twice daily. In addition, cool compresses over the eyes used liberally can help calm down the inflammation quicker. Usually having poison ivy on the eyelids doesn't cause any permanent eye damage; it's just a pain in the rear for a few days. Does that make sense?

Customer: Yes thank you. Is that all?
Doctor DanB :

That's all I think you really need to do for right now. Do you have any other questions about this?