Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My husband sneezed yesterday, He says he has a spider web

My husband sneezed yesterday, He says he has a spider web in his eye. It floats but stays in derection of where he is looking. Agso get flashes of light in the dark on the right side. ?? Do we do anything

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Good news. everything will be OK.

Dr. Rick :

Your husband is likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that your husband may see.

It is recommended that he see his ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If your husband notices a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of his vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. He would need to contact his ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.