Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have just submitted the following eye problem question which

I have just submitted the following eye problem question which was answered by Paediatrican/ Gastroendrolist and I would have thought it should have been answered by an Opthlamic person.

Question:

I have recently been diagnosed with a post vitreous detachment and am worried that this can lead to eye cancer. I have visited my optician who informed that it was nothing to worry about and it would settle down eventually. The light flashes are becoming less bothersome but I am still worried about it eventually causing eye cancer.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure why your question was sent to the GI doctors....sometimes the computer messes up on what category questions are put into. I'm sorry about that.

Dr. Rick :

I, however, am a retina specialist and can tell you what is going on.

Dr. Rick :

I can assure you that there is no chance what so ever that your posterior vitreous detachment will lead to eye cancer. This is impossible.

Dr. Rick :

Let me tell you a little bit about this condition.....you may already know some of this information but it never hurts to review it :-)

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.