Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am having circular eye flashes around my right eye but am

I am having circular eye flashes around my right eye but am also feeling funny around my face

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How long has this been going on for?

Customer:

I noticed the flashes as I went upstairs from the light to the dark last night.

Dr. Rick :

Was it just in one eye?

Customer:

This morning my face feels funny, and I have tightness around my neck and shoulders

It is just the right eye

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Have you noticed anything floating around in your vision?

Customer:

The right eye has has floating fiber-likes for awhile.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I know what is going on.....

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, this doesn't explain the funny feeling you are getting around your face, however it is possible that is just a manifestation of your concern.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

What about the face tingling

Yes, with the eye

Dr. Rick :

That is the thing that I can't explain from what you have going on with your eye. That being said, I don't think that this face tingling is anything to worry about. Eye issues do not cause face tingling....but lots of benign things can cause this so I'd not worry about it at this point.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me this morning?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.