Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I woke up this morning and both my eyes are dilated, my vision is blurry and and my eyes a

Customer Question

I woke up this morning and both my eyes are dilated, my vision is blurry and and my eyes are sore. This happened to one of my eyes a few months ago and it went away in a few days. I did see an eye Dr. and they could not determine what it was that caused it.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

JACUSTOMER-z3kvzzm1- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-z3kvzzm1- :
Dr. A.S. Desai :

For how long did the blurring of vision last in both eyes?

JACUSTOMER-z3kvzzm1- :

It just happened this morning, both eyes are dilated and sore

JACUSTOMER-z3kvzzm1- :

The last time one eye was dialted for about 2 and half days

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Has the vision got restored now in both eyes? Are you able to see clearly now? Are you on any mediciation for any systemic problem?

JACUSTOMER-z3kvzzm1- :

No My eyes are very sore and dilated, blurry vision and I am not on any different medication. I take medecation for thyroid

JACUSTOMER-z3kvzzm1- :

I ate Sushi last night could that have caused this

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there redness of the eyes with photophobia( intolerence to bright light)?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, very unlikely to be due to any kind of an allergic reation to the Sushi which you ate.

JACUSTOMER-z3kvzzm1- :

The white is very red, yes very intolerent to light it is giving me a headache

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Both pupils going for dilation along with eye pain is defitiely not a common scenario. Dilated pupil with eye pain can be seen in case of narrow angle glaucoma ( very unlikely to have occured in both eyes simulataneously but possible).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

"definitely"

JACUSTOMER-z3kvzzm1- :

IS there anything I can do or take to releave the pain

JACUSTOMER-z3kvzzm1- :

I have been running an airconditioner in my room, I don't run it very often could that have caused it?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Chances are that in case this turns out to be due to narrow angle glaucoma, the episode will get aborted once the pupils get constricted ( as in case of sleep which induces constriction of pupil). The best thing to do is to consult an ophthalmologist(eye MD) who can work up for the possibility of narrow angle glaucoma .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You would need a slit lamp examination and gonioscopy for diagnosis ( routine office procedures) along with measurement of the intraocular pressure and record of vision.

JACUSTOMER-z3kvzzm1- :

I was tested for that the last time this happened and it came back negative

JACUSTOMER-z3kvzzm1- :

Are there any home treatments that I can do?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I understand this but usually the eye exam comes normal in between episodes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The other condition which I was thinking was toxic pupil.

JACUSTOMER-z3kvzzm1- :

what is that?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Here there is finger to eye contamination with atropine like chemicals which cause dilation of pupils. This causes blurring of vision and photophobia.

JACUSTOMER-z3kvzzm1- :

are there any drops I can try over the counter

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am afraid most of the over the counter eye drops are for routine purposes as for lubrication or allergy. None of these would help the dilated pupils or eye soreness. But still you can try putting lubricating eye drops such as preservative free refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day so that it gives symptomatic relief and even flushes out in case there is any kind of chemical contamination.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Certain berries and mushrooms are known to cause toxicity ( both systemic and ocular). But I don't think that the air conditioner would have caused this episode.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am afraid the chat system appears to have frozen as I am unable to see your replies any further in case you have given any. To avaid discontinuation of interaction here, I will switch over to the Q&A mode so that we can continue to send messages.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

"avoid"

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hi Cheryl,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.How is your eye soreness now? Has it subsided? How is the size of the pupil now? Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My eyes are still sore and the dilation is about half of what it was, so not completely normal.

Thank you for the reply and the update.

As the pupils seem to returning back to the normal size, the chances of it being due to toxic pupil seems more likely now. Normally the effect should wearout completely by 2-3 weeks time.The eye soreness is probably so due to the intolerence to the bright light or due to morelight entering the eye as the pupils are much larger than normal in size. Gradually this symptom should begin to disappear.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist