Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

An employee on drugs attacked me at work after I ask her to take a drug test. The woman hi

An employee on drugs attacked me at work after I ask her to take a drug test. The woman hit me with a ring of keys on the left side of my face. An open MRI, 4.5 years later, showed no brain damage, but I have undergone 18 surgeries from bilateral total joint replacement to 5 wire sutures in my head to help the paraylsis. My eyes are healthy but I have no peripheral vision and depth perception is horrible. Is it possible for my vision to become this bad with healthy eyes and MRI not showing brain damage from the blow to the face? I have severe nerve damage.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Other then the visual field tests have you been examined by an ophthalmologist? If so, what did she find?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

I look forward to your response so that we can figure out what is going on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have seen an opthalmologist who feels there must be damage to the brain, even though the open MRI did not show damage. The Diagnostic Center which performed the MRI stated the large amount of metal used to resconstruct my jaws and face can create a false result. Maybe this problem is just too complex, I am desperate for answers.

You did not address my question, I was not allowed to have the MRI until 4.5 years after the injury because I underwent so many surgeries just to survive. Could this time period heal a brain injury, but create vision problems?

It is possible that healing could have occurred which then left behind scar tissue and that this scar is causing eye issues.

Loss of depth perception tells me that your eyes are not working well together or that the image processing in your brain is messed up. You loss of peripheral vision, in the fact of a normal eye exam, also speaks to the problem being located in your brain.

The unfortunate news is that, if after over 4 years, the issue is traced to issues with your brain, there really isn't anything that can be done to fix things at this point. Sorry about that :(

Does this make sense to you?

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.
Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Am I wasting time having another MRI with so much metal in my face and head? What other test are available to show possible brain damage, or scar tissue. Does the 7th cranial damage I have make a difference. I truly appreciate your time, I am just so frustrated, losing an active life style and giving up my Regional Director's Position in Healthcare.
I can understand your frustration. I hope the person who did this to you is going to be in jail for a long time.

I think you can have an MRI again although, I agree with you...will it just show the same thing?

The 7th cranial nerve would not be expected to affect your vision or your eyes directly, unless it impacts your eyelid function/tear film.

I do not think there is any better test that will give more information about your brain.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did wear a gold weight is my left eye for over a year. The weight had to be removed due to constant swelling and redness.I have scars to the left of my eye near the nose, as the weight dislodged and moved to the bridge of my nose. My left eye closes with the aid of the wire in my forhead. At night I have to use Gentail gel because the eye will not stay closed once I relax. My left ear canal has collasped 3 times and due to lack of room from the 5 jaw surgeries I am tender at the temple and left eye bulges. Left eye stays so dry and aches constantly. Once again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. You have brought to light some issues that have remained cloudy in the past. My injury occurred 11.5 years ago.
My pleasure.

It sounds like you are getting excellent ophthalmology care.

I wish you the very best. Let me know if I can do anything else to help you. Have a good day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I forgot to ask..I was diagnoised with Vertigo. I am constantly stumbling and turning into things. Should I accept that this could be another reason I have vision problems? I will sign off after this question.
No Problem. Ask all the questions you need. That is why I'm here :-)

That is possible but I wouldn't expect it to affect your peripheral vision or depth perception.