Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

pimple on the white portion of my eye

pimple on the white portion of my eye
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Is this a clear, compressible, sac that appears to have fluid in it?

Customer:
Doctor DanB :

Are you available to chat?

Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pimple is white but have not received a reply
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
Does it lie next to the colored part of the eye? Is the white part of the eye red around it? Is it painful? How long has it been there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, it next to the colored part of the eye yes it is red around it but not as much as it was about a week ago and the irritation is less than it was. it has been there about 10 days
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
Most often when there are yellowish/whitish spots on the eyes, they represent a pingueculum (pinguecula is plural). These are areas of the thin, transparent skin (conjunctiva) which is over the tough, white part of the eye (sclera) that have bunched together and therefore can look raised and change in color. These are usually brought about by UV exposure (sunlight), but sometimes they are just hereditary and people can have them even if they haven't had a significant exposure to UV light over their lifetime.
These spots generally lie at the edge of the white and colored parts of the eyes. Sometimes they can become inflamed and need some anti-inflammatory drops to calm down the inflammation, but for the most part they are generally innocuous. On occasion can flatten out and spread over the cornea and it is then called a pterygium. These are also generally innocuous, but can sometimes be very irritating and can affect the vision either by growing in front of the vision or changing the shape of the eye and therefore the need for glasses.

Sometimes these yellow spots can be conjunctival cysts, which are just fluid-filled collections that are also usually innocuous; they may get bigger over time, but are also just as likely to decrease in size and go away. Artificial tears are a good thing to take if either of these are bothering you. They are usually not surgically removed unless there are significant symptoms not alleviated by topical medications, because they both have a decent chance of growing back.
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
Does this make sense?  Does this information help address your concerns?  Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?