Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Went to sleep and woke up next morning blind in right eye.

Went to sleep and woke up next morning blind in right eye. Vision had been normal - No health problems that I'm aware of. We were in WY @ about 7000' elev. when this occurred. The big problem is I'm in the unemployment bubble @ 55yrs old, my insurance has long since run out and my finances are about gone. Lost my home and currently staying at a friends house. What are my options re: Health Care?
Submitted: 2 years ago via HealthCare.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

Do you or did you have pain associated with this? Any flashing lights or floating things associated with this vision loss? How about a curtain/veil/shade in the vision of this eye?

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any medical problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or anything else?

Doctor DanB :

Are you there?

Customer:

I went to bed and upon waking up my right eye had a curtain on the lower half of the eye. No pain or discomfort, I thought I was'nt awake as of yet. Rubbed my eyes and no change. The next day hoping things ould improve the entire eye was no covered with a grayish glare - I can see shapes but not the detail... Sorry, Doc I type kindof slow... :-)

Doctor DanB :

No problem. I can wait on the typing. But no flashing lights or floating things in the vision?

Customer:

That's correct - no floaters or flashing - I read something that makes me think I may have lost my contrast sensitivity - I still have the 20/20 but it's in a cloud. Since I've been back home in WI, I noticed its getting a little better but not enough to read or drive with just that eye.

Doctor DanB :

When did this happen?

Customer:

Couple weeks ago while I was in Wyoming - We were in a small town away from anywhere and like I said - I'm trying to find work my insurance has run out a long time ago and my finances are gone - I was hesitant to spend the $38 your site ask for because of only having $80 left in my account. I know, sad... But what are my options?

Doctor DanB :

I'm sorry; just one more question. So was the vision ever worse than it is now? In other words is the vision better now and you're just left with the curtain over the vision, or has the vision clarity been good even from the start, but you've just had this curtain?

Customer:

I've always had decent vision. I'm 55 so I wear reading glasses (+200) The cloud or grey glare seems to be getting a little better or I'm just getting more use to my situation and adjusting - I'm not really sure. All I know is if I had to rely on just my right eye right now - I could'nt see well enought to do much of anything. I'm blind in that eye. I don't mind the questions at all doctor... Just trying to get to the bottom of this ASAP and get some advise. Thx

Doctor DanB :

I can understand your anxiety about this. I do think, though, that you may have had either a stroke in the eye or possibly a retinal detachment. Unfortunately, a stroke in the eye can put you at risk for other bad problems (heart attacks or strokes) and if there is a retinal detachement it needs to be diagnosed and repaired. I know that your financial situation is in dire straits, but I do feel you need to be evaluated by a doctor...

Doctor DanB :

Therefore, I would recommend going to a county or city emergency room where you can be evaluated; most of those places are going to have protocols in place to deal with persons who are financially hurting as you are (whether that be just writing off the care you receive, or somethig else). However, I do not feel you should wait with this and just see what happens. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Customer:

I have not seen a doctor in 30 yrs. - The only way out of this because of my financial situation is to tie up emergency services?

Doctor DanB :

That's what I'm thinking, yes, unless you can call around and find an ophthalmologist who is willing to see you despite your financial situation.

Customer:

Well then, I thank you for your advise and I agree. I need to find out the root cause of this blindness before I have another suprise. Thx again and have a great day...

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome. Good luck.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer:
Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology