pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK

I was told I have cataracts and corneal dystrophy. If I get

I was told I have cataracts and corneal dystrophy. If I get cataract surgery can I go blind? What are the results of a good surgery and will I see better?

pippistrellodaqua :

If the cataracts are "ripe" (meaning they are ready to be operated on) you will almost certainly see much better after the surgery. Cataract extraction is the most commonly performed procedure in the United States. That being said, it is a surgery and with any surgery there are risks of complication. The surgery involves making two incisions in the cornea, removing the lens with cataract and replacing the lens with an artificial lens. The entire procedure lasts about 5 minutes. The surgeon will perform on one eye and usually a week or two later will perform the other eye. The vast majority of my patients who have cataract surgery see MUCH better within a few days and many of them don't even need glasses or contact lenses to see at distance afterwards. There will still be a need for reading glasses afterwards, but you will have a better quality of vision at all distances once the cataract has been removed.

pippistrellodaqua :

Usually I suggest that the patient is ready for cataract surgery when their vision begins to impair their quality of life. When you aren't able to do all of the things you used to (golf, driving, knitting, whatever it may be) then it is time to have the cataracts evaluated and removed.

pippistrellodaqua :

I should be available throughout the rest of the day to answer any follow-up questions you may have. Please don't forget to leave me a positive rating when your question has been answered fully.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need more information on what a cataract operation will do for the corneal dystrophy? I was told I was a candidate for corneal transplant but I can have my catarcts removed first. Will I have enough improved vision with just the cataract surgery? I was told the corneal dystropy is inherited. Will I see well enough with just the cataract surgery? Now I am nearsighted.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need moere information. If I only get the cataract surgery and not the corneal transplant will I see better? The optomologist I go to had mentioned a risk in blindness. I am nearsighted and have reached the point where he cannot give me stronger glasses. It would not help.
The cataract surgery will remove the cataract and provide better vision. It will not, however, affect the corneal dystrophy. There are many types of corneal dystrophies and they are all inherited. There is a huge range in the effects on vision depending on your specific dystrophy. Some dystrophies are not noticeable by the patient, while others can be quite severe. I recommend having the cataract taken care of first. Vision should improve with cataract extraction surgery. If there are still problems with the corneal dystrophy they can be taken care of later. I am commenting in general as I do not know what type of dystrophy you have or how much of the cornea is affected. In the majority of cases, however, if the cataracts are ready to go then they should go.