Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

What products and techniques are out there for dealing with

What products and techniques are out there for dealing with allergy eyes (tired eyes, dark circles, sometimes watery)?

I prefer something that doesn't cause much side affects.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : First of all, it is important to control the eye's response to allergens and this would include taking an antihistamine drop; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well. If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well.  If this still isnt enough then you may be necessary to start an oral antihistamine such as Claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter if this isnt helping.     Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?  Does this information help address your concerns?  Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?    It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.  I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.     My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I specifically get tired eyes, dark circles, and only sometimes watery from food allergies. My eyes are like that 90% of the time. Do you mind providing more clarification on what and how what you recommend will solve these symptoms. Alaway and zaditor seem to be used to relieve the itching of allergic pinkeye, which I don't have. Correct me if I'm wrong? is there other solutions that are more tailored toward my symptoms? Thanks.

Unfortunately, many people who have an allergic phenotype, or predisposition (meaning they have had and do have significant systemic allergies for years) get what we call "allergic shiners" which are these dark circles under the eyes, that give the appearance of tired eyes and appearance. Unfortunately, even in most patients who are on every kind of allergy treatment known to man, these dark circles will still persist and there isn't really any treatment for them that's been known to make them go away.

About the best advice I can give you is to be on every kind of local and systemic allergy treatment that you can be on to help control your body's response to allergies. This would include an oral antihistamine every day (such as Claritin, Zyrtec, or Allegra), a leukotriene inhibitor like Singulair every day, a nasal steroid such as Flonase or Rhinocort daily, and if you have asthma, to use an inhaled steroid.

You're correct the allergy drops are useful in allergic conjunctivitis, so if you do get this, then it would be helpful to use those as well to help control this process on a local level.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have asthma, I don't have anything other symptoms that I am aware of other then the following:

dark circles / tired eyes
brain fog

So basically every day take:
a oral antihistamine
a leukotriene inhibitor
a nasal steroid

Can you please clarify why and how much they would help me?
Do you have sneezing, itchy/runny nose, or watery eyes on a fairly regular basis?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I always have a lot of mucus and earwax. I sneeze every other day to a few days. I have watery eyes almost every day.
The oral antihistamine and leukotriene inhibitor would help with the sneezing and watery eyes. The nasal steroid would help with the sneezing and all three together may have some affect on the dark circles.