Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

CH-mab

Customer Question

One week ago (last Sunday) I awoke with double vision in my eyes, saw eye doctor, said it was double horz. vision. Suggested caused by Lipitor (40gr. per day) past two months. Stopped and taking 400mg per day of Q-Sorb Co Q-10. 7 days passed with no improvement. What is causing this? 1st time ever had eye problems. 72 years old this Oct coming. Have past heart problem with a now excellent prognosis. Had Atrial Afib for one year under complete control with Solatol and Warfin. Weight is 228, 5'11". Exercise except in past week. Have diabetis under control for 10 years with oral medication (Mediformin 2xday 1000gr) Prandin and glitside before meals.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Were you examined by an ophthalmologist or an optometrist?.

Dr. Rick :

If you close one eye, what happens to the double vision?

Customer :

Examined by an ophthalmologist. Close one eye, see clearly without double vision. wearing a patch over one eye at a time for comfort.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Given your medical history it is possible that you have a sixth nerve palsy. This is common in diabetes and folks with cardiac issues like yours

Dr. Rick :

At this point, as you have probably already figured out, I do not believe that your lipitor was to blame.

Dr. Rick :

If he did a complete exam I'm sure he looked for any evidence of optic nerve swelling that might point to increased pressure inside your head as well as thought about more rare causes such as giant cell arteritis.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? This will resolve on it's own without any therapy, usually within 6 months.

Dr. Rick :

Until then, wearing the eye patch will "solve" the double vision but you will have to be careful as your depth perception will be off.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Were you examined by an ophthalmologist or an optometrist?.
Dr. Rick : If you close one eye, what happens to the double vision?
Customer : Examined by an ophthalmologist. Close one eye, see clearly without double vision. wearing a patch over one eye at a time for comfort.
Dr. Rick : Ok. Given your medical history it is possible that you have a sixth nerve palsy. This is common in diabetes and folks with cardiac issues like yours
Dr. Rick : At this point, as you have probably already figured out, I do not believe that your lipitor was to blame.
Dr. Rick : If he did a complete exam I'm sure he looked for any evidence of optic nerve swelling that might point to increased pressure inside your head as well as thought about more rare causes such as giant cell arteritis.
Dr. Rick : The good news? This will resolve on it's own without any therapy, usually withinXXXXX Rick : Until then, wearing the eye patch will "solve" the double vision but you will have to be careful as your depth perception will be off.
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick : Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

I'm sorry about the chat system freezing up on us. I'm still here if you would like to ask me anything else....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have replied already. No optic nerve swelling found. Please continue Dr.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.

I did not receive your reply due to a system failure. Sorry about that.

That make me feel that you do have a nerve palsy causing your double vision, either due to a micro vascular infarct or some idiopathic cause that will never be found.

In any case, there is nothing that is going to make it better other then time...in the vast majority of cases this will resolve on its own within 6 months.

If you want to leave no stone unturned in your diagnostic workup then I would consider consulting a neuro-ophthalmologist.

Does this make sense to you?

Mashing a positive feedback button would remove the previous negative stain on my rating and be much appreciated.

I am still here if you would like to talk to me more. Thank your for replying......Have a good afternoon.