Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am from Dublin Ireland and there are 2 laser eye clinics

Customer Question

I am from Dublin Ireland and there are 2 laser eye clinics that keep coming up as the best around THE WELLINGTON CLINIC and THE MATER PRIVATE HOSPITAL. I went for a consultation in the Wellington about 2 months ago and they told me I have very dry eyes and they gave me eye drops(systene) and told me to take flaxseed tablets to try and help. and they told me they won't say which treatment Lasik or Lasek they'll do until I come in for the surgery and they'll see how my eyes are. I've been using the eyedrops 4 times a day since and am still using them, and they make my eyes seem better. I went to a consultation for the Mater 3 weeks later, they are a teaching hospital for Laser surgery and the doctor that will be doing my surgery is one of the best. They told me to go for Lasik with Ziemer even though they said my eyes were still dry. I'm still using the drops and Flaxseed. They didn't mention the Lasek. THE WELLINGTON have newer machines but no one I know has had the surgeon that's been assigned to me. THE MATER has Ziemer and is a teaching hospital and he's one of the best surgeons but i'm worried why they didn't mention the Lasek. Should I go for Lasik even though I have dry eyes as it does take less time and is less painful which I like, or should I go for the Wellington newer machine and maybe Lasek which I am scared about as it's more painful and takes more time? Please help......... What should I do?
the Mater does one eye and then an hour later the other just to make sure everythigs ok.  the Wellington do both together. 
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question and I am glad to hear that you are researching all your options in depth.

Dr. Rick :

No matter which procedure you have, lasik or lasek, you going to have increased difficulty with the dryness of your eyes after surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Given that fact, I would go with the surgeon you are most comfortable with. From what you have posted "THE MATER has Ziemer and is a teaching hospital and he's one of the best surgeons" I would go with them :-)

Dr. Rick :

It doesn't really matter that the folks at Mater didn't mention lasek; I'm sure they considered it

Dr. Rick :

"newer" machine really doesn't mean all that much. Companies are always coming out with "new and improved" even when the "old" machine (which was the new and improved machine 6 months ago) does an excellent job.

Dr. Rick :

It is the surgeon, not the laser that is most important when it comes to a good outcome.....

Dr. Rick :

I also like the fact that Mater does one eye, then checks to make sure everything is OK before doing the other. This eliminates any possibility of there being some sort of glitch and ending up messing up both eyes (although this is really rare.....)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck to you and enjoy your new, eyeglass free, vision :-)

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im just a bit worried as to why the Mater didn't mention Lasek when the Wellington did. is Lasek better when you have dry eyes? Do you think i should continue the drops? would they make my eyes better? Does lasik give you night halos etc, do they go after a while? are the dry eyes bad after surgery? would doctors tell you no if your eyes were bad enough?

thanks
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I wouldn't give much weight to the fact that one mentioned lasek and one didn't

Both lasik and lasek will contribute to making your dry eye issue worse, I really do not think that there is a significant difference.

I would continue the drops.

Not everyone get the night halo's and other problems but they have to tell everyone about the possibility as there is no way to predict who will be affected. If you are not willing to accept the risk that you might have halos or any of the other rare complications the lasik or lasek is not for you.

You will have dry eyes after refractive surgery and it will be worse then it is right now. But, after about 6 months you should back to your baseline dryness. In the mean time you can use more drops, have your puncta occluded etc. if needed.

Yes. The doctors would refuse to do your surgery if your eyes were bad enough such that you are a bad candidate. This is especially true at the teaching hospital where money doesn't figure into their decision -- not saying that it does at the other place, but you never know....

Does this make sense to you?

It was a pleasure to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
does using wavefront or ziemer reduce theirs of halos etc?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
While both of those technologies are "the latest and greatest" in lasik technology the risk of halo's and other complications still exist.

Are the risks less by using these machines? That has not been established with scientific studies....and if you are one of the rare patients who does just happen to come down with one of these issues, the statistics really don't mean much since, now that you have the problem you have, in effect a 100% chance of getting it, if you know what I mean....

I am glad to see that you are learning as much as you can before having eye surgery but, when push comes to shove, the risks can not be made to go all the way away...and you have to decide if your are willing to take the chance for the benefit of being less dependent on glasses or contacts.

As someone who has posted 10 questions, I'm sure you know what to do next :-)

It was a pleasure to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming eye surgery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
100% chance of getting bad vision ya mean? halos etc
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
No. What I meant to say that if someone says you have a 1 in a million chance of getting a bad outcome -- and it actually happens to you -- then you really don't care, personally, how rare it the event is because your were the one it happened to :(

If the chance of getting hit by lightning is very rare, and you get hit and killed, then the chance that you will be hit is 100% -- because it hit you.

Does this make sense.

What I am trying to say is that you can get crazy trying to figure out which laser is has "less complications".

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that they all have complications. You just have to accept this fact.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest