Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

What should I do to relieve the eyeball pain and am curious

What should I do to relieve the eyeball pain and am curious as to how serious this is. Do I need medical attention. I can still see out of the eye, but it is a bit blurry probably because of the tears.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I have already answered to this question posted earlier but I guess you have not viewed it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I will re-send the answer here including your present query.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since there is watering from the eye along with pain, I suspect that there is a likelihood of a corneal abrasion( just like a scratch on the superficial layer of the cornea). Usually such abrasions heal well with lubricant eye drops or ointment and patching for 24 hours. You can use over the counter lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears and patch the eye overnight. If the pain and watering from the eye persists even after 24-48 hours, then there is a suspicion of an infection there or even a corneal ulcer. In such as case do get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist ASAP.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But in case the symptoms subside just with lubricating eye drops and patching then it would indicate towards a corneal abrasion only. You can continue using the eye drops for a week.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In case of a corneal abrasion, with the use of lubricating eye drops and patching, the pain should begin to subside. For the moment you can take one tablet of Tab.Acetaminophen 650 mg, to relieve the pain.