Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I accidentally contacted a small tree branch while mowing grass

I accidentally contacted a small tree branch while mowing grass without my normal wearing of eye glasses. It is a bit painful and many tears are flowing. Is there something else I can do at home to relieve the pain?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since there is watering from the eye along with pain, I suspect that there is a likelihood of a corneal abrasion( just like a scratch on the superficial layer of the cornea). Usually such abrasions heal well with lubricant eye drops or ointment and patching for 24 hours. You can use over the counter lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears and patch the eye overnight. If the pain and watering from the eye persists even after 24-48 hours, then there is a suspicion of an infection there or even a corneal ulcer. In such as case do get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist ASAP.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But in case the symptoms subside just with lubricating eye drops and patching then it would indicate towards a corneal abrasion only. You can continue using the eye drops for a week.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hello Clifton,

In case of a corneal abrasion, with the use of lubricating eye drops and patching, the pain should begin to subside. For the moment you can take one tablet of Tab.Acetaminophen 650 mg, to relieve the pain.

Regards