Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

my brother has a permament detached retina. Will he ever be

Customer Question

my brother has a permament detached retina. Will he ever be able to get it fixed?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

What is the time duration since his cataract surgery and the detection of retinal detachment(RD) ?

After the RD was detected after cataract surgery, did the ophthalmologist suggest any surgery? Was any treatment given then?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i m not sure to both questions and can t talk to my brother until tomorrow.
Hello Pam,

Alright in that case we can discuss the probables here. The first thing to keep in mind is that the cause of the retinal detachment following cataract surgery is to be kept in mind. There can be eye conditions in which RD is known to occur such as in high myopia( short sightedness) or in diabetic retinopathy or following trauma to the eye. Apart from this any complication during cataract surgery can result in retinal detachment too. So depending on the cause of the RD, the prognosis of other eye cataract surgery can be predicted. So for example if the RD has occured due to a complication during cataract surgery in the first eye, then it is not necessary that it should occur in the other eye too. But the risk of RD is higher in the other eye if the predisposing factors mentioned earlier are already present ( high myopia, severe diabetic retinopathy or history of trauma to the eye or an already diseased eye )

The other thing to keep in mind is about the duration of the RD. If it has been long standing as in weeks or months then the visual recovery is definitely poor and any amount of treatment at this stage would be of no avail as far as the vision is concerned. But if the RD is of recent onset ( say within hours to 2 weeks) then there can be hope for visual recovery with retinal surgery( scleral buckling).

I hope the given information is useful to you.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist