jbmd
jbmd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience

Around Monday July 23 rd I developed swelling on the area along

Customer Question

Around Monday July 23 rd I developed swelling on the area along the brow bone & ptosis on both eyes in the area along the brow bone. At the onset of the symptoms I also had headache, a bit of a sore throat, and swollen glands. The sore throat lasted a couple of days, but the headache continued as did minor glandular swelling. That Sunday I got a very sever headache that was pounding on both sides. I recently gave birth at the beginning of May. I am hypothyroid, and had to increase my synthroid throughout the pregnancy. Since giving birth I have taken blood tests and have gradually weened it down. When I went to my doctor on July 25th my tsh level was .07 he adjusted my medicine from 125 mg to 112 mg. I had the swelling at that time, and I thought it might be a sinus infection, as I had a few headaches. He felt my glands and said they were a bit swollen. He gave me a z-pack which I took. the swelling has not gone down. I have also used both hot and cold compresses throughout, to no avail. The swelling is worse some days than others, and usually worse in the mornings. I don't get a lot of sleep due to my newborn, and continue to have slight headaches. Could this swelling be related to my tsh of .07? If so how long for the lower dose to take effect? Is there something else it could be? I have no known allergies, and have not changed any of my products. Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Expert:  Caring doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi ! I am caring doc. I will try to help you .

#1 . Did you have any cough with above symptoms ?

#2 . Are you having difficulty taking care of the newborn ? Do you feel extra stress ?

#3. Any drowsiness , fatigue , lack of energy , depressed mood ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No cough. More stress taking care of newborn, but feel it is the normal amount for any new parent. Same goes for fatigue and tiredness just typical new parent not much sleep, but things are improving as he has begun to sleep more as he is now 3 months. No depression.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No cough. Have experienced stress, fatigue, and drowsiness since his birth, but probably normal amount experienced by any new parent. No depression
Expert:  Caring doc replied 1 year ago.
Thank you . Now your symptoms are suggestive of frontal sinusitis, although all sinuses are interconnected and symptoms relating to maxillary and ethmoid sinusitis can be present as well. I would recommend using sinus rinse, tylenol as needed for pain and non sedating anti histamine like loratidine. Natural remedies like honey has been shown to be beneficial for rhino sinusitis and pharyngitis ( generally called upper airway cough syndrome) . For persistent symptoms intranasal steroids like flonase can be used. Use of anti biotics is limited to persistent fevers greater than 100 degree F, purulent nasal discharge or productive cough .
Expert:  Caring doc replied 1 year ago.
I would be more than happy to assist you further. I would appreciate a positive feed back if you found the answer helpful
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not at all satisfied with your reply. It is as if you did not bother to read my original question. I do not have a sinus infection. I already saw a doctor regarding this. I also told you that O am being treated for hypothyroid and at my last blood test my tsh was too low so we adjusted it accordingly. I would appreciate an answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

am not at all satisfied with your reply. It is as if you did not bother to read my original question. I do not have a sinus infection. I already saw a doctor regarding this. I also told you that you am being treated for hypothyroid and at my last blood test my tsh was too low so we adjusted it accordingly. I would appreciate an answer.

Expert:  jbmd replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a new doctor with some suggestions for you. I want to help you sort this out.

Has your doctor considered that, with a TSH of .07, that you might have thyroiditis, like acute Graves' disease and have thyroid eye disease with swelling of the tissue around the eye? Graves' thyroiditis can certainly give you swollen glands of the neck, on either or one side of the thyroid gland. The delivery could have precipitated this.

Are you having racing heart? Shaking? Maybe diarrhea?

I think you need to see an endocrinologist and also temporarily stop your thyroid as the step-down you did was not very great. It CAN all be set straight. If you have severe symptoms, go to the ER. Discuss this with your doctor and ask him/her to consider this and do not take your thyroid for the next few days until this is sorted out or your TSH comes back up to 2.0 or so.

This is just advice and must be followed up with your doctor before you do anything. Further lab tests and maybe x-rays of your sinuses (to set that sinus issue to rest) are in order as is adjusting your medication and maybe adding another medication if your heart is racing.

Does this answer your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My doctor tested me for the anitibodies that would be present with Graves disease, and it was negative. I am not having any other signs of hyperthyroid that you mentioned. TSH is now in normal range since adjustment of meds. All other symptoms have subsided except for the swelling just below both eyebrows above the lids. Went to eye doctor had eyes checked no problems, and was told was unrelated to eye. I am still perplexed, and would appreciate any insight.

Expert:  jbmd replied 1 year ago.
I'm so glad your doctor did that. It's easy to simply attribute things to sinus infection. You have a thorough doctor and I'm sure he/she tested you for other things, too. This may have been a viral illness that caused swelling around the eyes (like colds often do) and the gland enlargement in your neck. I would now watch and wait and the majority of the time these symptoms go away as mysteriously as they came. If they continue, you should be tested for things like mono--especially if you are tired a lot--and your endocrine function should continue to be monitored. That your TSH returned to normal is a very good thing and that it was so low means that things like pituitary gland problems are very, very unlikely.

All the best to you and have fun with your baby.