Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my friends eyes

my friend's eyes bothered her and were painful before one eye went blind. She works outside but it's not allergies. She had an aneyorism of the brain about 10 years ago and survived the operation and is normal. Her insurance won't take effect for 2 weeks to see a specialist. The optometrist said to come back Monday. He saw her about two weeks ago. Give me any and all advice. It is not cataracts, glaucoma stroke or macular degeneration
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure that I understand what is going on with your friends eye. Are you saying that she suddenly went blind in it?

Dr. Rick :

What did the optometrist say is wrong?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I look forward to your response so I can better understand what the issue is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dr rick-awaiting your reply re my friend's blindness in one eye. please email XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

dr rick-not macular degeneration, cataracts or glaucoma. She works outside with chemicals in heat in hot sun at Menard's garden dept. ??? No trauma to head, no signs of stroke. But remember the brain anyuerism 10 years ago.

Does she need neurologist? Can this wait for insurance or should I take her and pay out of pocket on Monday?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I am unable to use email on this system.

I remember what you posted about her history. What I am not completely clear on is the blindness you are speaking about.

When did this blindness occur?

Is she 100% "lights out" blind in that eye or is her vision just really poor?

Tell me how she went blind. Was it over a period of time or was she able to see one second and then the next she was blind?

Is her other eye affected at all?

Does the blind eye look normal when you -- and the optometrist -- examine it?

Has her vision changed since she became blind or is it the same as it was at first?

What did the optometrist say?

How many times has shed seen the optometrist for this issue? What was the purpose of each followup visits, if any?

Any more specific details you can give me will help to answer your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she had soreness and pain in both eyes for a week. Was bloodshot in bad eye and it stopped being bloodshot after a couple days. Optometrist said not macular degen, cataracts or glaucoma. No head trauma. Has another appt with optometrist who sold her new glasses on first visit for doctor note for work and referral to "specialist". I don't know if that means opthamologist or neurologist as she has no signs of stroke it may be ms or complications of surgery 10 years ago for brain anyrism. Other eye is bothersome, compensating for blind eye. Should I not wait for insurance that takes effect in two weeks, Is this that urgent that I should take her to neurologist or whatever on Monday?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
remember she works in menards garden center with chemicals in hot sun. Husband says may be swelling on optic nerve or capillary broke
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for that information but I still do not know enough about the "blind" eye:

1. When did this blindness occur?

2. Is she 100% "lights out" blind in that eye or is her vision just really poor?

3. Tell me how she went blind. Was it over a period of time or was she able to see one second and then the next she was blind?

4. Is her other eye affected at all?

5. Does the other eye have normal vision?

6. Does the blind eye look normal when you -- and the optometrist -- examine it?

7. Has her vision changed since she became blind or is it the same as it was at first?

Please number each one of your responses so that I can get the best data possible so I can give you the best answer.

From what you have said so far I can not find a reason why she would be blind --or why an optometrist would not consider a suddenly blind eye an emergency....

Just got your post. An optometrist does not have enough training to deal with optic nerve swelling in an otherwise healthy person.....
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I see that you have gone offline without answering my above questions.

I would have to say that based on the information you have posted and given me that you should not delay in getting your friend in to see an ophthalmologist. The sooner she is examined the better.

Does this make sense to you?

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.
Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.