Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Vision in my right eye has always been better than 20/20 at

Vision in my right eye has always been better than 20/20 at distances beyond around 1m; closer than that I start to have trouble focussing, and it's harder when there's less light. My left eye is lazy and in fact can not focus regardless of distance. (I think my brain mostly ignores the image from my left eye, and my depth perception is relatively poor.)

I'm now approaching 50 and my right eye has more trouble focussing at short distances.

A few years ago I went to get fitted for reading glasses. The optometrist (in Hong Kong since that’s where I live now) insisted on correcting both eyes. If I recall, the corrections were about +100 on the right, +300 on the left; but I'm not at all sure about that. As a result, for the first time, I had both eyes focussed. But I found the glasses unwearable because having focussed images from both eyes gave me a headache.

The optometrist didn't seem to understand my issue when I asked about this (perhaps there's a language issue because I'm in Hong Kong) so I guess I need better advice. Should I be trying to correct both eyes? Is it sensible to ask for the same correction for both eyes, which will leave my left eye still unfocussed which is what I am used to?

-David

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Thank you for your very detailed post. It is entirely reasonable for you to just use the same correction in both eyes, leaving one eye a bit unfocused at near as long as this works well for you.

Dr. Rick :

This will not cause any damage to your eyes at all.

Dr. Rick :

Since you need more correction in on eye then the other, and you are really not used to having both eyes give you clear vision at near I can understand how this might cause you some discomfort..

Dr. Rick :

Good Morning. Welcome to chat. Are you there?

Customer:

Yes, thanks.

Customer:

Just a quick followup then - if I were to get correction for both eyes, should I expect the headaches would stop after a while as I adapt to the new situation, or should I expect it would continue, or is there really no way to guess in advance?

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Just had to ask as sometimes we have difficulty with the chat system on your side of the planet :)

Customer:

Understand ... well, I'm not behind the Great Firewall ...

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question. If you were to get the correction for both eyes -- and wear the glasses full time -- I would expect the headaches to resolve within three weeks. If it doesn't get better by then it probably won't

Dr. Rick :

Ya. That great firewall is a crime.

Dr. Rick :

I'm in Wisconsin....

Customer:

:) I haven't been there, and I'm not visiting the US until I don't have to choose between the zap and the grope ...
OK, that's quite an exciting answer on the headaches ... opens up the possibility of allowing the eye to do its stuff which is possible an uinsurance against later trouble in the right eye.

Customer:

typos ... "possibly an insurance"

Dr. Rick :

Ya, the TSA have kinda gotten out of hand....

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. Using or not using the glasses will not damage your eyes in any way at all. It is sorta like a software issue can not damage the hardware of a computer......

Customer:

I was just typing in the question about damage ... as I was wondering whether not having to work so hard to focus means the eye loses the abaility to focus close without glasses more quickly ... as it doesn't need to work as hard to focus.

Customer:

But it sounds like you're saying this won't make any difference?

Customer:

*sigh* typos ... "ability"

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. You will not damage your eyes at all this way. They wil not lose the ability to focus without glasses due to the use or not use of the glasses

Dr. Rick :

I figured it out :)

Customer:

Oh, I knew it. I know it's a fault on my part. "It" = "perfectionism and pedanticism".

Customer:

Tagging you as excellent now.

Customer: