pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

Hi, I am very worried for my eyes. Three years ago an ophtalmologist

I am very worried for my eyes.
Three years ago an ophtalmologist found drusen in the retina and in the macula of my left eye.
Two weeks ago an othoptist took photos of my retina and found drusen in the macula on both eyes.
I start reading in internet through google and I am in panic.
Will I develop macular degeneration and blindness?
Also I read that there are two forms of drusen, hard and soft. I do not know wich type of drusen I have.
In another web site I read that drusen is the first stage of ARMD but in another I read that not all people that have drusen will develop ARMD.
I live now my life in a constant fear.
Thank you for your answer.
Andrea

pippistrellodaqua :

Great question. I understand completely your fear of macular degeneration. I confirm what you read about drusen in that the presence of drusen in no way guarantees that you will go on to develop macular degeneration.
Drusen are not uncommon between the ages of 45 and 60 and are found in almost everybody age 60 and older. There are several forms of drusen and the real question is whether or not these drusen will change in appearance over the years. The presence of drusen in both eyes is not necessarily a bad sign for you. The key will be what changes (if any) occur throughout the years. The name of the game at this point is early detection and early intervention. If you eventually do develop ARMD then it will be detected very early which is a very favorable prognosis for you. I know it is difficult to not worry about the condition, but at this point there is not much concern based on what you have reported here. If we see changes throughout the years we will work with it, but at this point drusen are drusen and not ARMD.

pippistrellodaqua :

I recommend annual eye exams to make sure small changes are detected if they do occur. In the meantime it wouldn't hurt to eat a diet high in antioxidants and vitamins known to help the eye (specifically the eye at risk for ARMD.) Salmon, spinach, carrots, and most other vegetables are helpful. I should be available throughout the evening to answer any follow-up questions you may have. Please consider a positive rating when your question has been answered fully.