Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have been having migraine headaches since I was 15 years

I have been having migraine headaches since I was 15 years old. On July 30 I had a migraine that was not the norm for me. I woke up with double vision in my left eye and vomiting. I went to the ER on July 20th because I had Server chest pain radiating to my left shoulder blade up my left neck and down my left arm. In the ER they did a chest x-ray and a CT of my test and blood work. Which also came out normal but because the nitro paste we releave my chest pains. The next day they didn't angiogram just make sure and it came out normal. So the doctor discharged me eight hours after angiogram with the diagnosis of Gerd. I have a lot of heartburn, but this is definitely not heart burn. So which brings us back to the migraine. Should I see a neurologist because my migraine prodromal's were different this time or rather from any time? First woke up with double vision in left eye and vomiting, nausea. Several hours later went to ER to make sure I was not having a stroke.While waiting my left arm and lips tingle for a few minutes And then stopped. Then it took two hours before the pain of the migraine began. Normally I have curtain vision sometimes numbness and tingling on my l right side and then the pain of the Migraine begins.
I already have an appointment scheduled with my cardiologist but should I also see a neurologist?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

As a physician as well as a patient who has been dealing with migraines for over 30 years I can fully understand what you are going through.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad that everything has checked out OK so far.

Dr. Rick :

I have to say that, at this point, I think you would be best served to consult with a neurologist who specializes in headaches and migraine treatment. It is possible that your symptoms are from your migraines but as this is a significant change from your usual prodrome I think it is best to have it checked out by an expert.

Dr. Rick :

I agree with keeping the cardiology appointment but, please, schedule a visit with a neurologist.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What things could cause such a change in the prodromals I experienced?
That is an excellent question and the answer is "almost anything"

At your age you are getting close to menopause and this may be what is causing it....even if you are not experiencing any other symptoms of menopause right now.

That being said even with a neurologist who specializes in migraine headache the cause of the change in your prodromal may never be found. In most cases one has to be happy with treating the issue without being able to find the underlying cause -- that is after a complete workup has been done to rule out any treatable or horrible issues.

Does this make sense to you?

It was a pleasure to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.