Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Every few months I notice one or 2 eyelashes on my eyelid.

Every few months I notice one or 2 eyelashes on my eyelid. I just pluck them and it hurts but they don't grow back for a good while. Today i plucked one and it left a red mark on my eyelid, will that go away? When I pluk it my eye feels like there's something in it gritty for a while after.  I am also booked in for Laser Eye Surgery is this safe? I am on eyedrops (systene) as Ihave dry eyes. Please help. Thanks

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, that red mark should go away.

Dr. Rick :

You might have a little bit of blepharitis. This is easy to take care of at home.

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Dr. Rick :

While I do not believe that this small red area will be any problem with your upcoming lasik surgery I would just make sure to point it out to your surgeon.

Dr. Rick :

Also, you do know that the lasik will make your dry eye issue worse, correct?

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I am on eyedrops and they feel much better than they were, would this eyelash problem cause any complications with the Laser surgery?

I do not think that it will but in the future you might want to have these wayward lashes removed permanently with laser or cautery.

It was a pleasure to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.