pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK

When I awake in the middle of the night, my right eye is hard

When I awake in the middle of the night, my right eye is hard to open. It's as if my eyelid is stuck to my eyeball. What can I do?

pippistrellodaqua :

As an optometrist, I suggest trying an over-the-counter drop called Systane Gel Drops at night before you go to bed. Many of my patients suffer from dry eye symptoms, especially at night. Often the eyelids stick together due to a mucous component of the tear film. the gel drops may help throughout the night. Additionally I recommend trying what we call "lid scrubs" and "warm compresses" at night before you instill the gel drops. Take a wash cloth and put it under hot water. With your eyes closed apply the hot washcloth to your eyes and rub gently at the base of the lashes. This will help keep the oily component of your tears flowing freely. This concern is quite common and can often be eliminated with these suggestions. Please let me know if you have further follow-up concerns. Please consider positive rating. Thank you.