Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have what looks like a burst blood vessel in my right eye,

I have what looks like a burst blood vessel in my right eye, on the cornea (white part), no pain. It appeared on Sunday, 4 days ago. No pain. No history of high blood pressure. It has dispersed a bit, but still looks very creepy. I am 63 years old and have no pre-existing conditions. Should I see a doctor?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

What you have experienced is called a subconjunctival hemorrhage. It is very common and is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

There is no need to seek medical attention for this condition....you will be just fine.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Good afternoon. Welcome to chat. I was just answering your question.

Customer:

Yes, it does. I thought that it's nothing to worry about, but it looks so vampire-ish I was starting to freak out a bit. I feel so much better now. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day :-)

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.