Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I am a 67 year old, healthy male, strongly and asymmetrically

I am a 67 year old, healthy male, strongly and asymmetrically myopic--around -4.xx left and -7.xx, right. I have been undercorrected in the right eye for some time, and it has gotten worse. The last visit, my optometrist told me the imbalance is now great enough that, if he ups the correction (with glasses), the image sizes will be different enough that I won't be able to fuse them, my brain will ignore one image, and my vision will be worse than as now.

He recommended cataract surgery and said I have enough of a cataract in the right to justify insurance payment for it in both eyes. (I am on Medicare and have a supplemental insurance policy as well.) For a complicated series of reasons, and after consultation with a cataract surgeon, I have decided I want to delay this as long as possible. I do not have any vision loss noticeable to me due to the cataract.

Would it be feasible, and what would be the medical and insurance implications of getting LASIK or similar on the right cornea, just enough to balance it with the left eye? Then use appropriately adjusted glasses for as long as I can postpone cataract surgery.

P.S. FWIW, I have multiple, successfully repaired, retinal tears in the left eye, from about 5 years ago, coincident with posterior vitreous detachment. I have recently revisited my retina specialist, who said this leads to no contraindication to cataract surgery.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : I think LASIK is definitely an option. I think, however, that despite the anisometropia (significant difference in glasses needs between the two eyes), that you would be left to pay for the LASIK yourself--no insurance company would pay for it, usually. Medically, though, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be fine having it done (based on what I know about you), though the answer to that question would ultimately depend on a thorough LASIK evaluation which everyone gets prior to the surgery. Does that make sense?

Yes, that makes sense to me, and it answers my question. And thanks for the technical term for the asymmetry. Yes, I would expect to do an evaluation prior to LASIK.

Doctor DanB : Good. Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?   

That's it. Thank you.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.     My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry!